PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Garlic butter

Options
Evening everyone

I have googled 'making garlic butter' and got the following:

How To Make Garlic Butter

Mash about 6 garlic cloves into a 1/2 cup butter, add chopped chives or parsley. Form into logs, wrap in plastic, and freeze. Slice as needed to melt onto meats, vegetables or use as a spread.

Now this sounds fab but me being VERY lazy wonders if i could use 'lazy garlic' instead? Or something similar, ideally i dont want lumps of garlic in the butter, want the flavour though!

Thought i could make my own garlic bread. YUM!!

Thanks
"The journey of 1000 miles commenced with a single step"

Comments

• Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, you can make garlic butter with the lazy garlic, it makes absolutely no difference. Just mix the garlic and butter (watch the salt, as some brands of garlic can have a fair bit added) and some dried parsley, and you've got garlic butter :) I've done this a lot and you don't really get 'lumps' of garlic, it really turns out now different to the garlic bread you buy. It also freezes really well, so you can make a big batch and you won't have the hassle of making it so often. Just wrap it really well before you freeze it, otherwise it'll stink the freezer out!
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure on this one as it has vinegar in it. I imagine that it would taste funny. Different if you are cooking say a tomato pasta.

If you end up using real garlic try adding grated parmasan to it. Also organic garlic cost a few pence more but is a lot stronger.
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, you can make garlic butter with the lazy garlic, it makes absolutely no difference. Just mix the garlic and butter (watch the salt, as some brands of garlic can have a fair bit added) and some dried parsley, and you've got garlic butter :) I've done this a lot and you don't really get 'lumps' of garlic, it really turns out now different to the garlic bread you buy. It also freezes really well, so you can make a big batch and you won't have the hassle of making it so often. Just wrap it really well before you freeze it, otherwise it'll stink the freezer out!

Beaten too it. I guess you can then.
  • Sugarhunny1
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help and advice. This whole website has helped me so much in every aspect of my life and i now feel more confident with money/relationships and mostly cooking.

THANK YOU!!!
    "The journey of 1000 miles commenced with a single step"
  • Ephemera
    Ephemera Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Options
    Garlic butter...

Can be made easily with dried garlic grains or garlic powder, a few herbs if you like, just mash into softened butter and use as you like...mmmmmmm
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I feel moved to try this!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    I love making my own garlic bread - semi-melted butter, lazy garlic and a bit of parsley then spread on sliced part baked baguettes and I put them into the freezer until I need them!
  • nanamags
    nanamags Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried roasting whole cloves of garlic? Just wrap them in tinfoil and bung in the oven when you are cooking. The cooked garlic can just be squeezed out.

HTH
    :hello: N:hello:A :hello:N :hello:A :hello:M :hello:A :hello:G :hello:S :hello:
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    Last time I made it I put the garlic through a garlic crusher and then mixed it in with the butter.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • Buzzbox
    Buzzbox Posts: 261 Forumite
    Options
    We make garlic mayonaise all the time, quite easy too, add garlic salt to the mayonaise and leave in the fridge for a day before using it.

We also chopped up a couple of garlic gloves into small blocks, placed it into a small container and added a bit of olive oil, will be great to cook with! Much cheaper than buying it in store.
    Smile more often, it's FREE :hello: Live on £4000 for a year stalker! :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport