PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Home made Xmas gifts (merged threads)

Options

Comments

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thats ok, real credit goes to mum in law, was her idea. :-*
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just discovered this thread in a trawl through the site, and thought it worth reviving. I can't cope with Christmas too early, it's not allowed to begin till after my birthday (in just over a weeks time)
    When the kids were younger we used to pick a craft & make presents for everyone using that idea. Here are some of the things we have done:
    Home made candles
    Things decorated with serviette technique
    Made & painted candleholders made from plaster in moulds
    Bought a load of white mugs & got the kids to decorate them with special ceramic pens.
    Bought blank calendars & got kids to design a page for each month on the computer, then printed the pages & stuck them on to calendars.
    Another cheap pressie idea we used, but not made by us, was glass vases which double as hurricane candle holders with scented candles, both from Ikea - total cost about £3
    Last year my sister Henny gave me a present labelled "Henny's Revenge" - it contained 2 candles and a plate beautifully decorated with serviette technique to match the colour scheme in our living room.
  • squarecat
    Options
    Knitting Scarves

Having recently discovered knitting, and still being a relative novice, I just knitted one long rectangle, and have found that it rolls, so you either need to make twice the width and fold/sew or find the stitches which will prevent it from rolling.
    Smile it confuses people!
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    instead  of buying/making cards thats a waste of money and trees make shortbread cards.

Looking through an old magazine yesterday I found a similar idea.

You make shortbread dough, cut out Christmas tree shapes then using a tiny star shape cut little shapes out of the tree then put the Christmas trees on grease proof paper on a tin and put little coloured hard boiled sweets like tom thumbs? in the middle of the holes.

Bake as normal in the oven and the sweets will melt into the holes when they have cooled down they look like glass, when you hang them on the tree the lights shine through and they look ever so pretty and they are still edible!

You can use any shapes and make baubles, snow men etc.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Don't know what 'tom thumbs' are but if you use something like fox's glacier fruits or larger, it's best to break them into pieces first as if they're too big, they don't melt properly and you end up with big blobs ;)

Also seen this technique used to make 'stained glass windows' for a gingerbread cottage to turn it into a church - sickening that some people are SO talented ;D ;D
  • Galtizz
    Options
    I didn't know what Tom Thumbs were either and I was trying to think of an old sweet shop I might get them from - closest one I could think of is about 50 miles away.

Never thought of breaking up bigger sweets :-[ thanks Chris.

I'm not talented either, mine will probably be full of holes and big gloopy bits - but that makes them more 'homemade' and more loved ;D (that's what I tell myself anyway)
  • kathkidd
    Options
    Book Floss
    One to try for small children (or big ones). Take a length of very narrow ribbon or some embroidery threads. Knot one end and thread on a few glass or plastic beads like those found in little girls jewellry kits then knot again to hold in place. Leave about 10 inches of ribbon and repeat process with matching beads.
    Works like a book mark with pretty beads hanging out top and bottom of book. Perfect for friends/granny/teacher or anyone who likes reading. Best of all- costs pennies per book floss and each one is different. (also works with little glittery pompoms from craft shops).
    Now I'm off to try some of the other great ideas in here. Love the idea of shortbread cards etc
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevard’s white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
    Giddy up old fella cos the moon is yellow tonight,
    Giddy up old fella cos the moon is mellow and bright,
    There’s a coyote crying at the moon above,
    Carry me back to the one I love,
    And you old faithful pal of mine.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I didn't know what Tom Thumbs were either and I was trying to think of an old sweet shop I might get them from - closest one I could think of is about 50 miles away.

Never thought of breaking up bigger sweets  :-[ thanks Chris.

I'm not talented either, mine will probably be full of holes and big gloopy bits - but that makes them more 'homemade' and more loved  ;D (that's what I tell myself anyway)

LOL ;D
    Galtizz, I'm going to see Singalonga Elvis in the New Year - I'm debating whether I'd be brave enough to wear the knitted Elvis wig ;D ;D
  • Galtizz
    Options
    Definately, no question, wear the wig!!! ;D ;D

I think the pink one would be best ;D

You could make a fortune if you know a fast knitter by selling them on the door. I'm sure they'd be really popular

Singalonga Elvis and his technicolour wig friends ;D ;D ;D
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    and we want to see a picture too. ;D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business