Build your own shed - free plans please!

Options

Comments

• real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm new to the site. Just wanted to say I have several Shed plans & also some greenhouse plans (including a very nice Victorian greenhouse/conservatory) which I purchased from Ebay in the form of PDF files. If anyone is interested then feel free to send me a PM & I will send you them. :)

Did anyone get an email of these plans? I've PMd Cheapas but it looks like he only stopped by MSE for a short time. Was hoping to get a copy of the plans he had as I'm looking at building a shed myself? :confused:
  • warmstrong
    warmstrong Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Try this site for lots of plans - you will have to adapt to suit

http://www.shedsandstoragebuildings.com/gardenshed.html

I think this is the best of the bunch - http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/extension/ExtPubs/Plans/6284.pdf

Good luck
  • Relick
    Relick Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just thought I'd update this thread for further reference, plans for an 8' x10' with material lists and instructions and good drawings to follow for a petty substantial building using corrugated roofing.Measurements in metric too which helps, as US plans can involve a fair amount of converting and making do as some of their wood sizing is different to ours.

Link: http://www.howtobuildashed.explained.org.uk hope it helps:)

• Dangerous_Pete
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm new to the site. Just wanted to say I have several Shed plans & also some greenhouse plans (including a very nice Victorian greenhouse/conservatory) which I purchased from Ebay in the form of PDF files. If anyone is interested then feel free to send me a PM & I will send you them. :)
    Good morning Relick

Would love to get hold of a copy of the shed plans you mentioned.

Regards
    Dangerous Pete
  • fat_jedi
    fat_jedi Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Came across this thread whilst searching google for shed plans!

I'm already a member here, so thought I'd see how you were getting on?

Was going to suggest a couple of links, but they've already been mentioned!!!

Did you get to start your project?

FJ
    "If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination."
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    I have built several quite large sheds over the years. There really is no need for complicated plans.. Just a sketch of what you are aiming for, with the main dimensions and spacings on it. The framing can be studding from Wickes, which is very cheap and about twice the size used by cheap shed manufacturers. The most expensive part is the cladding. Sawn shiplap( feather edged board) is quite a lot cheaper than T & G board. Which I would recommend if you can afford it. You can make framed and ledged doors easily enough or buy them ready made. You will come out cheaper than a good quality shed from a local manufacturer, and will have a shed that is at least as good, if not better. There is no need for complicated systems to remove the back for painting. If the shed is up against a fence it will stay dry except for the top bit above the fence, which can be painted from the roof, if it is required. Build the back and clad it, then paint it before raising it into the vertical position. This is how I did mine and it is still in good condition after 20 years. The bit showing above the fence has never been repainted and there is no sign of rot. The cladding on this shed is sawn ship lap, which seems to need less maintenance than T&G, although it does not look quite as nice.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hey andrew - your chance has come! The latest lot is washing up on the Kent coast this time.

Go borrow a van and hey presto - timber for your shed.

(I knew if you waited long enough ... :)!!)
  • ali_p_4
    ali_p_4 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    You should be able to work out some plans of your own. I built my own about 4 yrs ago. 14ft x8 ft. and I am a woman. it cost me just over £400 buying shiplap from local wood merchant. draw yourself some sketches with measurements for each side.
    A tip for bolting together at each corner. Once you have made your end panel up drill the holes through andbolt the upright for each side to it. That way makes it easier to do the holes and you will have them in the right place when assembling. Invest in an electric mitre saw not expensive but will make life so much easier, if you haven't already got one.:smiley:
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    You do not really need plans to build a shed. A quick sketch on a piece of paper is all that is required. Having said that, the link in post #19 is pretty good for the essentials. You will not save any money if you do it yourself, but you will get a shed that is infinitely stronger than any cheap one that you buy. Even the ones that local shed makers produce will not be as substantial as what you can make yourself. I have made several and I found that the dearest part was the cladding. Sawn shiplap is quite ok,but the t & g cladding looks nicer, while being more expensive. Personally I would recommend boarding the roof and felting it, as this will be less prone to condensation. The alternative would be to board it and then cover it with some type of corrugated material. I find it therapeutic to build a shed, and the satisfaction of a good job is very rewarding. Do not try to build it in one piece, do as the professionals do and build it as four separate sides and then assemble, before building the roof. I have always lined the structure with building paper or something similar before cladding. You can make your own doors or buy a ready made braced and ledged one.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    andrew-b wrote: »
    Thanks Canucklehead!
    Worthy of consideration if we do go for a off-the-shelf one - though the nearest size they do is 6'x9' and thats over £500
    Not bothered how long it takes (assuming summer lasts longer than a few days this year!), so it's downto the material costs plus of course my shed will be stronger as the framework will be far heftier!

Think i'll probably stick to 3m (9'8") as longer is probably going to mean joining pieces together. Will buy the wood from a timber merchants (one who'll deliver preferably) rather than B&Q/Wickes to keep costs down. Biggest single outlay after the wood looks like it may be the window if i get a readymade one. Some of the materials may be salvageable from the old sheds to keep costs down further...though i'm not relying on it.

Andy

When i was making new fence panels i bought the timber from a salvage yard. A lot of hard work but it was much cheaper and stronger than standard bought panels.
    Maybe you can check that out.
    I'd be interested in having a go at a greenhouse. Can those plans be sent online. Is that possible ?
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure