We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Does anyone else make their own clothes

1…2324262829…126

Comments

  • Hi Dolly Daydream (my mum used to call me that!), and welcome to the Abandon All Hope thread :rotfl: . I have been battling my fabric addiction since the beginning of the year and in fact have only succumbed (so far) to a couple of metres of cashmere which I'm currently making a jacket from, and some horrible upholstery velvet which my sister wants me to make into a throw. However, spring is here and my fingers are itching to make up some new summer gear.....

    Actually I tend to avoid tailored collars too if I can, although I have one to do on this jacket. They take hours to do and I seem to spend most of it unstitching and re-jigging, sigh.

    Hooray! the housework is done and so I can sew tomorrow for a couple of hours, yay. However I suspect the jacket will be done in time for next Christmas, it's quite a complicated little number and I have all the thread tracing to do yet not to mention battle with the slippery lining.

    Happy sewing, friends!
    Mrs F x
  • C1aire wrote: »
    Well, all nicely bagged up. It doesn't look like there's so much of it now so have been having a browse on Abakhan's. Is it wrong to want kids just so you can order the cute fleece prints? :rolleyes:


    Nah, ditch the kids, just buy the fleece, that's lots cheaper :rotfl: :rotfl: You could always use it to line a nice warm winter jacket.......

    Mrs F x:p
  • C1aire
    C1aire Posts: 273 Forumite
    Nah, ditch the kids, just buy the fleece, that's lots cheaper :rotfl: :rotfl: You could always use it to line a nice warm winter jacket.......

    Mrs F x:p

    But what if it was hanging on the back of a chair in a meeting or similar with dinosaur print fleece showing in all its glory? I doubt I would live it down!

    Am still hunting for a traditional teddy bear pattern. All the ones I can find just don't fit the image in my head.
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.
  • Bellie_2
    Bellie_2 Posts: 295 Forumite
    Hi everyone, so I have flicked through my book and I cant wait to get started. I cant get any fabric till monday though when I go into town to the cloth store in Edinburgh which I am told is quite good. I hate having to wait this long though. Want to do something now!!!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 086
    Proud to be dealing with my debts !
    Total Debt: Was £6368.84 :eek: now £945.36
    Sealed Pot Challenge 049 Aim £500
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Bellie wrote: »
    Hi everyone, so I have flicked through my book and I cant wait to get started. I cant get any fabric till monday though when I go into town to the cloth store in Edinburgh which I am told is quite good. I hate having to wait this long though. Want to do something now!!!

    Have you got an old sheet you can experiment with? :confused: Even if you just make it into a pillow case or drawstring bag.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

    ......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Bellie_2
    Bellie_2 Posts: 295 Forumite
    Thanks Rikki, I will go off and have a hunt around to see what sheets and stuff I have I can play with, Yay:j
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 086
    Proud to be dealing with my debts !
    Total Debt: Was £6368.84 :eek: now £945.36
    Sealed Pot Challenge 049 Aim £500
  • C1aire wrote: »
    But what if it was hanging on the back of a chair in a meeting or similar with dinosaur print fleece showing in all its glory? I doubt I would live it down!

    Am still hunting for a traditional teddy bear pattern. All the ones I can find just don't fit the image in my head.

    Can't help with the teddy pattern, sorry. But you COULD make yourself some fleecy dinosaur pyjamas or a dressing gown if you really can't bear the thought of making all your work colleagues jealous? I actually meant a casual parka type jacket, I think a fleece lining for a work jacket would be a bit tricky to do ;) You just have to think laterally if you're going to build your stash up into mammoth proportions like mine :rotfl:

    Mrs F xx
  • Bellie wrote: »
    Thanks Rikki, I will go off and have a hunt around to see what sheets and stuff I have I can play with, Yay:j

    Actually if you're going to make a garment, making a test copy out of an old sheet or similar is a really good idea - you can see where the garment fits (or not) and make adjustments to the pattern so that when you splurge in your fabric shop you will be able to make up your new duds knowing that they will fit. Just a thought....

    Mrs F x
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I won an item off ebay which was a bag of laura ashley scraps of fabric. I intend re-using them into various items to sell, and want to advertise that they are in fact laura ashley fabric.
    But I dont actually know whether they are or not ( I am presuming they are but....:confused: ) and it would be nice to know the name of the fabric. Is there an online library i can look them up? Or does anyone have any ideas on how to check.
    many thanks clever people.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • C1aire
    C1aire Posts: 273 Forumite
    Can't help with the teddy pattern, sorry. But you COULD make yourself some fleecy dinosaur pyjamas or a dressing gown if you really can't bear the thought of making all your work colleagues jealous? I actually meant a casual parka type jacket, I think a fleece lining for a work jacket would be a bit tricky to do ;) You just have to think laterally if you're going to build your stash up into mammoth proportions like mine :rotfl:

    Mrs F xx

    Fleecy PJs? Now there's a thought! Mrs F, I like the way your brain works!

    My latest project is a bag for my laptop. Seems silly to pay for it when I have fabric lying around and a smattering of practical ability. Also, the ones I see in the shops never have enough of the right sized pockets in the right places. Will have a bash at it over Easter and post pics if it turns out to be any good. ;)
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.