We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Does anyone else make their own clothes

1…2223252728…126

Comments

  • beeka
    beeka Posts: 18 Forumite
    Hi all, I think this is my first post to here but I've been reading for a long time. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your knowledge in such a way, as it's great inspiration to me to start trying things out. I'm very old-style thrifty, mainly down to my grandad's influence, but am now very keen to take on board traditional crafts, especially in terms of make do and mend!
    Anyway, it's great to be able to turn to this community so thank you all very much!
    :T
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

    - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    beeka wrote: »
    Hi all, I think this is my first post to here but I've been reading for a long time. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your knowledge in such a way, as it's great inspiration to me to start trying things out. I'm very old-style thrifty, mainly down to my grandad's influence, but am now very keen to take on board traditional crafts, especially in terms of make do and mend!
    Anyway, it's great to be able to turn to this community so thank you all very much!
    :T

    :hello: Hello


    We look forward to hearing your tips and advise too.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

    ......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • C1aire
    C1aire Posts: 273 Forumite
    Must admit I have a love/hate relationship with collars (usually hate).

    Me too. When it gets to the collar part I just try and have faith that doing what the pattern tells me to do will work. It is usually followed by a loud *kerplink* as the penny drops! I think the last collar I attached, I did the opposite to Mrs F, i.e. I pinned the middle so I could see what (if anything) I needed to snip/chop/shuffle/stretch. Hang in there though as there is a peculiar satisfaction to be had in getting it sorted!

    Bought my first ever batch of fabric online recently - some cheesecloth for a couple of Summer kaftans. :j OMG, it is addictive. And so cheap! I treated myself to a new pair of scissors, some beads, some daisy-shaped braid stuff... I am in desperate need of a suitable place to keep all these remnants etc. in though - carrier bags under the bed just isn't cutting it anymore! And don't get me started on the sewing pattern collection... :rotfl:
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.
  • lauradora
    lauradora Posts: 1,371
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can you let us know the pattern number?
    HTH
    Mrs Fx

    its a new look 6677. and i'm on view A. Mum had a look yesterday and said I had put the collar on upside down! but still really stuck, thanks ever so much x
    On a mission
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Those 'large plasticky/paper type bags' (the ones that come in brightly coloured checks and you get at the sea-side to put extra purchases in when on holiday!) are useful for fabric stashes. They come in various sizes - I've got two that are each the size of a suitcase. Because they are flexible they are really good for fabrics.

    I've got my patterns in a couple of very large shoeboxes (men's size 13's boots!) - they work well if you can stand them upright to make them easier to flick through - but you still have to have somewhere to keep them safe. May be worthwhile asking at the pattern store to see if they have any empty boxes that may be suitable for storing patterns in.
  • lauradora wrote: »
    its a new look 6677. and i'm on view A. Mum had a look yesterday and said I had put the collar on upside down! but still really stuck, thanks ever so much x

    Aha, now I see, it's one of those mandarin type collars. OK, are my suggestions not any use to you? Is the collar too long for the neck or vice versa?

    I'm forever putting collars on upside down, I have to go and look at one of OH's in the wardrobe every time to check :rolleyes:

    Mrs Fx
  • Olliebeak wrote: »
    Those 'large plasticky/paper type bags' (the ones that come in brightly coloured checks and you get at the sea-side to put extra purchases in when on holiday!) are useful for fabric stashes. They come in various sizes - I've got two that are each the size of a suitcase. Because they are flexible they are really good for fabrics.

    I've got my patterns in a couple of very large shoeboxes (men's size 13's boots!) - they work well if you can stand them upright to make them easier to flick through - but you still have to have somewhere to keep them safe. May be worthwhile asking at the pattern store to see if they have any empty boxes that may be suitable for storing patterns in.

    OOh I like the big bag idea, thank you! My stash is currently piled up on every available surface and stuffed in every cupboard and drawer :o

    The patterns I keep in those giant clear boxes from Homebase (the very biggest ones, how embarrassing!), I have four of those full at the moment and every month I add to them when I get my Burda magazine and trace off the patterns I want to use. I keep the magazines in those wooden holders you get in IKEA.

    It's just as well that OH is a bookaholic so he can't complain really.......:rotfl:

    Mrs F x
  • C1aire
    C1aire Posts: 273 Forumite

    It's just as well that OH is a bookaholic so he can't complain really.......:rotfl:

    Mrs F x

    As a bookaholic also,I will have problems soon unless I

    a) step up my sewing and start using up more fabric
    b) stop buying books :eek:

    I like the idea of the big bag. Ooooooh! I have a big blue Ikea bag - that might do for the fabric!

    >Dives under bed and starts digging through the clutter<
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.
  • C1aire
    C1aire Posts: 273 Forumite
    Well, all nicely bagged up. It doesn't look like there's so much of it now so have been having a browse on Abakhan's. Is it wrong to want kids just so you can order the cute fleece prints? :rolleyes:
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.
  • :o Hi my name is Dolly and I am a fabricholic and bibliophile

    Now we have established the addictions I am sorry to say that there is no cure. Since rummaging through my fathers rag bag (he was a mechanic and they used to buy a bag of rags to wipe their hands on) as a small child I have been hooked. Way back then I would rescue fabric and turn it into something else and have continued throughout my life.

    From the age of 11 I would haunt jumble sales for my 2 great loves books and fabric.

    I can remember my dad deciding that he needed to build me a bookcase after I attempted to create one using old bricks and planks of wood:D They were less understanding about the huge piles of fabric that were building up and they were relegated to the shed where they got infested by rats:eek:

    Over 40 years later and I am grown up :rolleyes: my books are stored in bookcases/tables/floor all over the house. The fabric is stored in: the children's old toy chest, in those plastic bags in the cupboard on top of my wardrobe and in underbed storage bags under 2 beds (from Poundland with a clear section so that I can see what is in there). If I tell you that this is the cleared out reduced section of my fabric storing you will get the idea of the addiction. My patterns - which I have culled vigorously - are stored in a chest of drawers and my Burda magazines have a bookcase all to themselves.

    Incidently I to have problems with collars and have been known to avoid patterns that include them:o However that is because I don't get to sew as much as I would want to anymore and I know that when I am sewing on a regular basis then I am able to produce better sewing IYSWIM
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.