We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Does anyone else make their own clothes

1…109110112114115…126

Comments

  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,581
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Mis Independant, I agree with Flea.
    I also agree that Guttermans are the best threads.

    I have found that Betty Foster,s book was invaluable to me, but dont think that its still in circulation.
    The next best thing, that I have found is very useful, is "Easy Sewing, The Kwik Sew WAy". Which includes master patterns, allowing you to tailor the patterns to you, and you can make tops, blouses, skirts and trousers with the patterns. I can also adapt the top/skirt pattern to turn into dresses.
    It is about £11.95 last I looked. Kwik Sew patterns are from America, but you can get them here too.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well, i`ve started making a Santa Suit tonight for my hubby. He`s was Santa last year at local community centre. This year, up to now he has 2 `gigs` lol,but their santa suit is just a cheapo one.
    So cos i`m making our own he`ll be visiting the younger members of our family just before christmas lol
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mooloo wrote: »
    I have found that Betty Foster,s book was invaluable to me, but dont think that its still in circulation.

    I found a copy of her book in a charity shop a while ago - the designs are a bit dated :rotfl:

    You can still get Betty Foster's Master Pattern - Sewing World recently did a series with her where she explained how to use it. You can get back copies of Sewing World - and the Master Pattern is available from Betty Foster (I'll see if I can find the address - or maybe Google will have the info). It costs £3.50.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,581
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    http://www.bettyfoster.co.uk/ here is her site.

    There are master patterns included in the Kwik sew one. Which is functional, but adaptable once you know what your doing. But must admit, I used the betty foster one, so often when I was starting out years ago. I even have most of the master pattern still in my drawers, But I am not the size I did it too anymore!.

    I have allthe things I want for my winter coat, but a pattern. So I may have to do a bit of adapting myself. But not tonight I am too tired.
    I am hoping that next week I will be able to knuckle down, and get the dining room sorted out properly so that I can "go to work" properly when I want to sew.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • nikki2804
    nikki2804 Posts: 2,670
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi, ive just come across this thread and I'm hoping to start making my own clothes. Im only 21 but since having my DS I can't really afford to buy the clothes I like and would love have my own take on them.

    I'm quite arty but unfortunately my mother would never let me loose on her sewing machine (no idea why, even now she won't)

    I want to make some peices that are multi funstional and not just 'fashionable' peices i.e black trousers and I would love a lovely 'occasion' dress.

    Ive not had time to read the full thread (all 55 pages eek) but its on my to do list!!!
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,581
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Well I have gathered together all the fabric, pattern, etc that I need to make my first coat. I am taking it with me to my BF's as I am stopping at his until Sunday. Thought that I would attempt to make the coat while he is at work, Tomorrow and Friday morning. (I have the hospital in the morning near his, so decided to have an extended stay!). Hoping that I will get more peace there then I do here at mine!.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,676
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16291 If anyone is interested in Gutermann threads at a reasonable price there are some for sale on this thread of The Sewing Forum.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,581
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Well I have nearly finished my coat. Just need to do the buttonholes and sew on the buttons. The machine I was using was my spare, and it is a bit dodgy so I didnt want to mess them up. Will do it tomorrow, on my main machine. Then I will get a photo sorted out for you. I am quite pleased, as I have never made a coat before.! I also made 4 of my simple handbags while I was away.! So perhaps I will photograph them as well.
    Now that the postal strike has been put off, I might up the makes and post them on the web for sale. Was reluctant to do much when the strike was threatened.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 11 November 2009 at 12:39PM
    I did a City & Guilds in Machine Knitting about 10 years ago, and we were shown the basics of how to cut our own patterns. The book we used was "Metric Pattern Cutting" ISBN 0713525649. It probably won't be easy enough for beginners, but worth a look at your local library for someone who knows a bit about patterns. From the basic pattern you can make anything you want from one basic homemade pattern
  • Dinah93
    Dinah93 Posts: 11,466
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Hi all,

    I recently started a dressmaking and tailoring course and am making my first dress at the moment. My class teacher has advised that patterns tend not to correllate to your usual size ie I'm a 10 in Next, topshop etc, but I'm coming in at a 14-16 on a pattern based on my measurements.

    However I went to buy a few pattens in the sale yesterday and the lady there said she'd been making clothes for 20 years, and she was a 12 in the shop and a 12 on pattern. Given the McCalls patterns have 10 on one pattern and 14/16 on another entirely, I'd love some opinions on which size I should go for! My measurements seem to be coming in as a 14/16 on the patterns ie 36" around fullest point of bust, 29" around true waist, and 36" around the widest point of my hips/bum.
    Debt January 1st 2018 £96,999.81
    Debt September 20th 2022 £2991.68- 96.92% paid off
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.