We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Does anyone else make their own clothes

1…112113115117118…126

Comments

  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,581
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Scissors, unpickers, and chalk, pins and tape measure. Thats the basics, oh and some spare needles!! Anything else can be bought as needed, if indeed needed.

    I am about to set up sewing lessons here if I can secure enough interest.
    got to go, dinners ready!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • MichH
    MichH Posts: 192 Forumite
    Mooloo wrote: »
    Scissors, unpickers, and chalk, pins and tape measure. Thats the basics, oh and some spare needles!! Anything else can be bought as needed, if indeed needed.

    I am about to set up sewing lessons here if I can secure enough interest.
    got to go, dinners ready!

    I just found a link to this thread from another. I am a beginner (complete beginner). I've just had my first lesson. Just an idea of cost if you are considering teaching - I looked at taking a course at my local college and they wanted £150 for a six week course, one lesson a week with a maximum of 6 people per class. After much research online I found a local sewing machine shop that does lessons and they are £25 an hour - yes I know it sounds alot, however I went for my first 2 hour session last week and it was worth every penny!

    So if I were you, and had the skills you have, I would definitely be teaching!
  • Sunshine12
    Sunshine12 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    Hello again MichH!
    Im doing mine via night classes. Was £96 for 14 weeks - 12 people max in a class. Am going to trawl through this thread now and see what talented people can do and no doubt become very envious! (maybe I should put on a picture of my scrunchie!!! lol)
    :smileyhea
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,581
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    used to make wedding dresses, so think I can teach something to others! Just getting started I suppose. Will have to wait a bit, as have my granddaughter to care for for a few more weeks yet.!.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • rowsew
    rowsew Posts: 171
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello
    What a lovely thread, just slipped in to see what was going on ... I like to sew for myself and the children. I am tall and thin, so making my own stuff is better than badly fitting things from the shops (I don't have the money to buy pricey stuff), or adapting charity shop finds. I also quilt, make bags, curtains, bits for the house. Anything crafty that takes my eye I will have a go at. My son has asked me to make him a proper shirt ("like a Daddy shirt, with the cuffy things") so that's my next challenge. I have bought the lovely Ottobre pattern magazine several times and the Winter '09 book has 2 shirt patterns in, so last night I traced one off. I need new specs now, they have so many patterns printed on one sheet! Next step is cutting, I will be very careful as I only have just enough fabric (from last year's stash) to make it up. Then daughter has a request for "somefin pretty" (she's only 4), and in the meantime I have promised the OH a special h/m tweed scarf for his birthday next week. He saw the one I made for my brother and loved it - a first, because he's never asked me for anything made for himself before, apart from seam mending and button replacements .....!
    :jMoney saving eco friendly Fertility reflexology specialist :j
  • flea72 wrote: »
    being honest, your money would be best spent on having some basic lessons

    i spent years teaching myself to sew, but it wasnt until i actually attended classes, that i found the 'easy' way to get good results. yes, before the lessons, i could run up fairly presentable garments (to the untrained eye), but once i had proper training, the sewing speed and quality improved ....

    On the subject on lessons, I attend some weekly classes run by Janet Moville - she is regularly featured in sewing magazines such as Sewing World. She has a purpose designed workspace in Preston. This is her website - its also got lots of instuction on how to do things related to sewing. People attend from all over the area including Cumbria and even further away she runs a full day class (9.45- 4.15) making it worthwhile, for those nearer half day classes could be best (9.45-12.45 or 1.15 - 4.15). She really is amazing!

    Jen
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    top_drawer wrote: »
    On the subject on lessons, I attend some weekly classes run by Janet Moville - she is regularly featured in sewing magazines such as Sewing World. She has a purpose designed workspace in Preston. This is her website - its also got lots of instuction on how to do things related to sewing. People attend from all over the area including Cumbria and even further away she runs a full day class (9.45- 4.15) making it worthwhile, for those nearer half day classes could be best (9.45-12.45 or 1.15 - 4.15). She really is amazing!

    Jen

    I'd love to go to one of her courses - she does some fantastic articles in Sewing World. Unfortunately on a cost-cutting drive I've cancelled my subscription, and will only buy it if there's something I specially want to read.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,581
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    The cost seems so high! Its been a long time since I was "in the business". But I think that i may have to seriously look into this. I do have around 5 or 6 sewing machines so I think its possible. Just need to get the course worked out, wonder if I can do that???? or is it just wishful thinking?
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi Mooloo, I live an hour (ish) away from Northampton and I would come up for classes if they were on a weekend :)

    Go on, you know you want to ... I'll even bring my own sewing machine (I was given it for christmas and all I've done on it so far is plain seams, but LOTS of them :rotfl: )
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    A few of you thread regulars may recall me asking for pattern matching help a few (ok more than a few!) months ago.

    Well, I can proudly tell you the blind is actually looking like a blind now, albeit on the living room floor. The extra width panels are sewn on and the pattern ACTUALLY MATCHES!!! The lining is sewn on too and now I'm working sewing on the lath channels - I've managed one fine but other is not quite right and I will have to undo part of it and re-do :mad:

    I've really enjoyed it but am feeling daunted by all that is possible and wondering how to do stuff which is why I am dying to find a class - Please, pretty please Mooloo run a class!!!

    Icey x
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.