When 1st MOT due on new car

Options

Comments

• SteveJW
    SteveJW Posts: 712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think some people can get their head around the concept or being able to tax a new vehicle on first registration for longer than a year. I suppose it's something that the dealers don't publicise.

Our standard specification for vehicle tenders reads "part months to be paid for"

Why should I take delivery of a new vehicle on say the 21st of May 2011 and the RFL expires last day of April 2012, when I can pay equivalent of 1 weeks extra and it then expires last day of May 2012.

I will try and get a scan of the next one we get, with the apropriate / innapropriate parts blanked out

Strangely enough I cannot find reference to this on the DVLA website

I do think the RFL has to have a minimum value, so possible not available on low emmission / green vehicles
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2011 at 6:12PM
    Options
    But this practise has been in use for decades, I am surprised so many people don't know it exists.

FYI:

The rates were on the INF9 form from DVLA. I'll see if I can find a link.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • SteveJW
    SteveJW Posts: 712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Flyboy152

Link is below

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=INF9+dvla&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Goverment gobblydegook
    Document titled Date to end of month first licensing (DEOM)
  • We_gone_bananas
    Options
    ahll wrote: »
    Hi,
    I bought a car a year or 2 ago and I was wondering if anyone knows when you have to get the car first MOT'd ?
    Sorry to see how rude some people have been to you ahll! I, like you came here for research.. Making sure I am doing the right thing and taking responsibility. I think people should remember they are not forced to reply (for those that think ahll is asking a daft question or should have done research else where). I believe a simple answer to a simple question would have ben sufficient. The answers on directgov are not clear! Good luck friend and remember, they are angry which is their problem & be thankful you are not like that :)
  • Plain_Lazy
    Plain_Lazy Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    I have never understood why some people choose to belittle an OP.

The more experienced poster could just read the introductory post and then leave it to somone else to answer. Someone with more patience/time/empathy.

The truth of it is that most of them enjoy making someone look small in front of their virtual mates. That's MSE for you.
    Shopaholic
    Chocaholic
    Sleepaholic
  • Road_Hog
    Road_Hog Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry to see how rude some people have been to you ahll!

Yes, but sometimes when people are being stupid, it does need pointing out.

The posts to which you refer are from 4 years ago. Why have you dug up a thread (the bit which you refer to) that is 4 years old?
  • newfoundglory
    newfoundglory Posts: 1,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 March 2012 at 12:52PM
    Options
    Welcome to 2012 :D
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1.21 gigawatts.
  • antwebb
    antwebb Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    Ahll, I think some people get a little weary being expected to answer questions that could easily be answered with a little bit of research.
    For example, if you google when is mot due, the first item on the resultant list is... http://www.ukmot.com/next.asp?ID=52

I really have to comment, because in fact when you google "when is a car due its first mot" THIS THREAD is the first page that comes up :p
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    antwebb wrote: »
    KeithP wrote: »
    Ahll, I think some people get a little weary being expected to answer questions that could easily be answered with a little bit of research.
    For example, if you google when is mot due, the first item on the resultant list is... http://www.ukmot.com/next.asp?ID=52
    I really have to comment, because in fact when you google "when is a car due its first mot" THIS THREAD is the first page that comes up :p
    Thank you for that useful post.

Please can you now confirm that what KeithP posted in January 2008 was not correct at that time?

In fact, that link that KeithP posted over four years ago no longer points to the appropriate webpage.

Funny how the whole world moves on, isn't it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure