When 1st MOT due on new car

Options

Comments

• Polly740
    Options
    Morpheus73 wrote: »
    I know this is an old post, but I gotta be honest, most people on here have been pretty rude!

I am in the same boat- the cars I buy are normally new and I change every 2 years, thus I have never needed an MoT. My latest car I needed to keep for three years, and I bought it a few months old, I therefore needed info on the MoT, when it due, etc, as I have never had to do this before.

I have now found the info I needed, and you know what? It wasn't 'obvious', it didn't mean I 'neglected my car', it didn't mean I was 'ignorant' or 'shouldn't be allowed to drive'. Quite honestly all those replies to the poor person that posted a thread 'for help' were just totally bullying.

There, said my piece. Now to book my MoT..

Absolutely right. As I have never owned a new car before I thought I would do a bit of research to find out when exactly the car is due an MOT. I knew it was 3 years, but wasn't sure if it was from first registration or when I bought it, etc.

I think the fact that people are on these forums looking for the information is testament to the fact that they are bothered about looking after their cars and complying with the law.
    I was very very surprised to see some of the comments that have come out on this thread. If you're not happy to give people advice that are seeking it, or you are bored in answering questions that you think should be common knowledge to people - then don't read the thread!! There is absolutely no need for rudeness or to tell people that if they don't know something then they shouldn't be on the road!

Sorry that I've bumped this old post but I am completely shocked that members of a forum could be so vile to someone seeking help.

All that said, I now know when my MOT is due and I will book my second service in the meantime :)
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sb's money saving tip of the day
    if indeed your car is coming up for its first mot and you only have a 3 year warranty, get it done a month before the warranty runs out and then if any parts are picked up as faulty or dangerous that the warranty can cover you can get it booked in at the dealer soonest to save you the expense of wallet opening
  • FurryPaws
    FurryPaws Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    Actually there is something everyone on this thread has failed to mention which is important if someone is flicking through for an answer. In the UK there are differences in when the MOT is due.

England, Scotland and Wales the MOT is due after 3 years from registration
    Northern Ireland MOT is due 4 years from registration.

I didn't check where the poster was from in the Country, I'm hoping everyone else did before they went on about how people who don't know shouldn't even be driving...
  • Lirin
    Lirin Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    Yup four years from initial registration, and NI MOT's are more comprehensive than GB as well.
  • SteveJW
    SteveJW Posts: 712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very often these are out of sync

When a car is first registered it can be taxed for a year and a number of weeks.
    I think they have to run from a Friday

ie
    Car registered on 10th June 2011
    Taxed for a year and three weeks tax (RFL) expires end of June 2012, mot due on or before 10th June 2014.

Perhaps most dealers do not inform purchasers of this

Taxis and tests
    One contributer mentioned having tests every six months, as a local authority responsible for taxi licensing, we test every six months. Majority are in good condition, however a few rogues whos vehicles are in very poor condition
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,555 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Taxis also have to have their MOT (England and Wales) after a year, not 3 years.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    SteveJW wrote: »

When a car is first registered it can be taxed for a year and a number of weeks.

ie
    Taxed for a year and three weeks tax (RFL) expires end of June 2012, mot due on or before 10th June 2014.

Taxis and tests
    One contributer mentioned having tests every six months, as a local authority responsible for taxi licensing, we test every six months. Majority are in good condition, however a few rogues whos vehicles are in very poor condition

can you provide a link for this please, ive never heard of this before.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Dippypud
    Dippypud Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    tosca5 wrote: »
    I bought a new car in 02 and had it MOT'd the year after and every year since. Look after your car.
    ahll wrote: »
    Oh it must be due now then but I havn't had a letter or anything !

10 Jan 05
    SteveJW wrote: »

ie
    The Road Fund License will expire on the last day of May 2012.

Taxis and tests

Please pay attention at the back of the class...
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
  • tonytee
    tonytee Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lots and lots of MOT only centres who don't do repair work so this represents good value often at a very good price.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    Dippypud wrote: »
    Originally Posted by SteveJW viewpost.gif

ie
    The Road Fund License will expire on the last day of May 2012.

Taxis and tests
    Please pay attention at the back of the class...

Not if it is taxed for a year and three weeks.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure