Please help 'How much will cost to install gas central heating?'

Options

Comments

• heating-eng
    Options
    A boiler manufacturer sometimes sells products that aren't fit for purpose....Ideal springs to mind. Some RGIs install boilers which aren't fit for purpose.

You referred to flow not pressure in your previous post....which is it then?

Ex-BG you say... 'nough said.

Canucklehead
    Most boiler manufactures sell 24kw boilers ? There all wrong and you are right ? Get a grip you don't know what you are talking about.
    Lots of rgis install boilers not fit for purpose, that also includes you by the sound of it, fitting over sized boilers is nearly as bad as fitting undersized boilers.
    I am not going to try and help you with flow and pressure, you should know this already.
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • karl-123
    karl-123 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    £ 2,500

:j
  • karl-123
    karl-123 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    if you pay peanuts you get monkeys

£ 2, 500 includes boiler and rads,
    honeywell trv`s / valves, fernox f3 and f1 and f6
    chrome towel rail to bathroom,gas safe certificate,honeywell room thermostat,
    external programmer,22mm piped thermostatic bypass valve....
    tatty bye karl..ex teacher/25yrs site experience uk and abroad...........
  • heating-eng
    Options
    karl-123 wrote: »

No £2500 would be cheapest job possible. Ferroli boiler, cheap TRV,s and all piped in plastic apart from first meter, gas safe cert only cost a couple of pounds or free if you fit baxi,s.
    Who said anything about a chrome towel rail.

As an ex teacher trainer, manager, builder, plumber, elec, etc you should know better, yes I have looked at your posts and you seem to have lots of trades that you teach ? Can you explain please ?
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    Very interesting technical discussions developing here. However, I was not talking about about people giving detailed requirements to a prospective installer. I was referring to posters on here asking for installation costs for CH or whatever and the total extent of the information given is that they have a 3 bedroomed detached house or some such.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • heating-eng
    Options
    karl-123 wrote: »

Interesting , I have never seen any requirement to use F6 ?
    Or Honeywell products, and a bypass is only needed if required ,not with every boiler.
  • ashcroft121
    ashcroft121 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2012 at 11:43PM
    Options
    farhadonly wrote: »
    Can you please tell me which company gave you £2600 quote? Can I pay them by monthly installment?
    Thanks.

I can't comment on the installation that cost £2,600 but I would be very worried about the quality of an install that cost that much. A decent boiler and all pipe/material etc plus 10 radiators will be close to £2,000 alone just for the materials. To do the job properly I would be looking at 5 days of labour at £170 per day plus VAT. I'm doing a 2 bed bungalow at the moment for £3,000 and that's a 6 radiator system. For this price all pipe runs will be in copper (15mm to each radiator) and wrapped in insulation tape (heat type, not electrical type) before being plastered over in the walls. Radiator tails will emerge from the wall in chrome pipework, a cheap extra but it looks really nice.

I would normally install a new system for £3,500 including VAT for a 3 bedroom property. If the customer is getting it for cheaper then quality is suffering, be it a cheaper boiler or cheaper materials or in the worst cases, quick, shoddy workmanship to cut the labour costs.

Make sure you buy a decent brand of combi-boiler - these can easily cost over £500 more than the cheapest ones but they generally come with a 5 year parts and labour warranty. I can 100% recommend Broag boilers, they are all we fit and we have never had a single callback on them. Do not buy a cheap combi-boiler - they tend to break down at the worst time (Winter) and you are then over a barrel to get them fixed - no hot water or heating till you do.

I have no idea where you live to be honest so I'm not touting for work, just wanted to offer you some advice from someone in the trade.
  • ashcroft121
    Options
    salbot wrote: »
    Hi, I just had central heating fitted. 10 radiators (4 bed house) and a boiler, including fitting etc. £3900. I had cheaper quotes but went with the company I was most impressed with. I am based in Leeds so the price may vary depending on where you live.

Thanks
    Salbot
    ps. I don't think you could pay in installments.

Salbot, I think the price you paid was spot on, not too much but enough to ensure a quality job would have been done.
  • dominicwest
    Options
    We want to get central heating in a very small flat. We need a boiler and two small single and one large double radiator. All the three radiators would be within 15 to 20 feet of the boiler so a very small run.

Any advice would be appreciated
  • Lauraw08
    Options
    Hi, I am currently looking to buy a property in Oxfordshire which has no gas to the house whatsoever. I am really interested in the house but need to get an idea on how much this will cost to get gas to the house and to install gas central heating? Has anybody had any experience with any companies in Oxfordshire they could recommend or how much they paid for them? Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure