Please help 'How much will cost to install gas central heating?'

Options

Comments

• Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    I do not agree.
    If you ask the custome the correct questions over the phone or over the net you can give a good idea.
    Most of my prices are fixed price and only change if more things are required.
    Example. Worcester Bosch boiler fully fitted for £1299. This is for a combi to combi swop, existing gas needs to be 22mm and it needs to have a room stat.
    I flush every job so this is not extra.
    As long as the questions are asked correctly then the price will be very near.
    It is better to go to the property to give a detailed price.

You should know before you start what the job entails...what the OH quotes is what the customer pays..if he makes an error in the quotation he absorbs the cost (hasn't happened in 30 + years btw).

Too many installers go in low, chasing the bottom end of the market, prices change as a result of an 'unforeseen circumstance':eek: and folks end up paying more than they bargained for.

Btw...must be a WB Junior you are fitting otherwise you're paying the customer for the privilege of working in their home.

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • heating-eng
    Options
    You should know before you start what the job entails...what the OH quotes is what the customer pays..if he makes an error in the quotation he absorbs the cost (hasn't happened in 30 + years btw).

Too many installers go in low, chasing the bottom end of the market, prices change as a result of an 'unforeseen circumstance':eek: and folks end up paying more than they bargained for.

Btw...must be a WB Junior you are fitting otherwise you're paying the customer for the privilege of working in their home.

Canucklehead
    You would know before you start if you go and see job, the person is asking for an idea of cost, you would then go and give full quote as required.
    The boiler is a 25si with 5 years warranty.
    I normally do the over 2 days.
    £50 in materails and £900 for boiler.
    £350 for 2 easy days work , not bad for me and good price for customer.
    I always go and look at job first and if anything else is needed then I would inform the customer.
    Also offering free powerflush at moment.
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • heating-eng
    Options
    Peong wrote: »
    I've just bought a 3 bedroom ex council house in Cornwall but its got no central heating. How much should I expect to pay for a full system with about 7 radiators fully installed. I just need a rough price before I start getting quotes. Also can anyone recommend someone to carry out the work in the Cornwall area?
    The price will depend on what you want ?
    Boiler cost will make a big difference.
    Ferroli boilers cost around £600 and wb cost around £1200.
    As a guide with cheap boiler you could be looking around £2300 and anywhere upto say £4000.
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    You would know before you start if you go and see job, the person is asking for an idea of cost, you would then go and give full quote as required.
    The boiler is a 25si with 5 years warranty.
    I normally do the over 2 days.
    £50 in materails and £900 for boiler.
    £350 for 2 easy days work , not bad for me and good price for customer.
    I always go and look at job first and if anything else is needed then I would inform the customer.
    Also offering free powerflush at moment.

Flue? Magnetic filter? Pipe insulation? Controls (other than roomstat)? System cleanser? Inhibitor? Condensate waste disposal...where do this these factor into your numbers?

I would say that something has to give on such an 'installation' based on your price.

How do you cover your costs of business using this model?

IMHO...you are presenting MSErs with an unrealistic expectation...and not for the first time.;)

Canucklehead
  • heating-eng
    Options
    Flue? Magnetic filter? Pipe insulation? Controls (other than roomstat)? System cleanser? Inhibitor? Condensate waste disposal...where do this these factor into your numbers?

I would say that something has to give on such an 'installation' based on your price.

How do you cover your costs of business using this model?

IMHO...you are presenting MSErs with an unrealistic expectation...and not for the first time.;)

Canucklehead
    Flue is included in the £900 also built in timer.
    Magnetic filter would be extra if required.
    Got loads of F3 from eBay at £1 per bottle,
    If anything else is needed then this would of been quoted extra up front.
    These prices are realistic in the Leeds area.
  • Canucklehead
    edited 23 October 2011 at 9:08PM
    Options
    Flue is included in the £900 also built in timer.
    Magnetic filter would be extra if required.
    Got loads of F3 from eBay at £1 per bottle,
    If anything else is needed then this would of been quoted extra up front.
    These prices are realistic in the Leeds area.

The majority of MSErs do not live in the Leeds area but when they read your posts I doubt they appreciate the differences in market conditions. I assume the F3 , at some point, has fallen off the back of a lorry. I suspect you and my OH do not share the same boiler supplier and definitely not choice of boilers as he would never spec. a combi under 28 kW as it would take forever to fill a bath and provide a piddling shower to boot...but I guess it saves you upgrading the gas supply.;)

Canucklehead
  • heating-eng
    heating-eng Posts: 723 Forumite
    edited 23 October 2011 at 9:17PM
    Options
    The majority of MSErs do not live in the Leeds area but when they read your posts I doubt they appreciate the differences in market conditions. I assume the F3 , at some point, has fallen off the back of a lorry. I suspect you and my OH do not share the same boiler supplier and definitely not choice of boilers as he would never spec. a combi under 28 kW.

Canucklehead
    If he wouldn't spec a boiler under 28 kw then maybe he should go back to college regarding boiler sizing. I fit what the customer wants combined with what will work correctly, if there is only 10 litres a min coming in there is no need to fit a bigger boiler, if there is more than 12 then the customer can pay £150 more and have a 30 SI .
    As for the F3 not really sure where it came from, all I know is I bought it on an online auction.Lots of company's are closing down and I often find cheap materails on eBay.
    I do every thing I can to keep the price low for my customers.
    This is a money saving forum, I am happy to help anybody save money.
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    I could but won't list the self-funded CPD he has completed this year alone. Only '10 liters a minute coming in' and you would fit a combi??? :eek:

He installs to 'Best Practice' (have a look) and manufacturer's specs.

Canucklehed
  • heating-eng
    Options
    I could but won't list the self-funded CPD he has completed this year alone. Only '10 liters a minute coming in' and you would fit a combi??? :eek:

He installs to 'Best Practice' (have a look) and manufacturer's specs.

Canucklehed
    As I used to train BG engineers for many years I am sure I know about system design and what boiler is best.
    Some boilers will work on very low pressure and although this is not the best solution ,sometimes it's the only one.
    So what you are saying is that none of the manufacturers should sell 24kw boilers.
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    As I used to train BG engineers for many years I am sure I know about system design and what boiler is best.
    Some boilers will work on very low pressure and although this is not the best solution ,sometimes it's the only one.
    So what you are saying is that none of the manufacturers should sell 24kw boilers.

A boiler manufacturer sometimes sells products that aren't fit for purpose....Ideal springs to mind. Some RGIs install boilers which aren't fit for purpose.

You referred to flow not pressure in your previous post....which is it then?

Ex-BG you say... 'nough said.

Canucklehead
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure