Driving In Swansea

welshliz
welshliz Posts: 321 Forumite
Hey guys looking for a bit of advice really.
I passed my driving test in july and had no problem driving around my town in my car but now ive moved to swansea as im in swansea uni and im terrified of driving here i dont know why! I hate the thought of driving into town, the roads look so complicated!
I was wondering if you know of any instructors around swansea who would take me on for a few lessons so i get to know the area! I'm paying a bomb for insurance and im not using my car!
Thanks
Cymru Am Byth

Comments

• Janepig
    Janepig Posts: 16,780 Forumite
    I think it's a case of once you get used to the road layout you'll be fine. How about taking a drive around on a Sunday afternoon or something when it's quieter? Someone I work with did that when they moved down here from away - she did the run into work and back a good few times so that she became familiar and comfortable with the route.

Admittedly though, the council have managed to make a not very good road system even worse!!!

Jxx
    And it looks like we made it once again
    Yes it looks like we made it to the end
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Oops, pressed the thanks button for some reason.................... old age is catching up with me. Anyway, yes, Swansea is a nightmare. If your are under 25 (just guessing by the Uni bit) you could benefit from reduced price lessons from the Advanced Motorists people. I wish I had done it at that age, coz it gives you a reduction in insurance costs for the rest of your days. Might be a sound investment.
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi if you can get a sat nav, I have found mine invaluable it instructs me quite often which lane to get in.
    I have been driving 35 years but with all the road changes my sat-nav is a wonderful help.
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Offer to naviagate for a friend driving and they must only follow your instructions (well unless you tell them to go the wrong way down a one way street). This will make you notice road signs, traffic flows, road markings etc. then do as Jane says and drive it yourself on a quiet Sunday morning (do students know what mornings are:D ?)
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Very sorry to hear that you have had to move to Swansea.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • vik6525
    vik6525 Posts: 16,347 Forumite
    Just take the bus! Honestly, driving round swansea is just ruddy stupid that!
    You lied to me Edward. There IS a Swansea. And other places.....

*I have done reading too*
    *I have done geography as well*
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,864 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Janepig
    vik6525 wrote: »
    Just take the bus! Honestly, driving round swansea is just ruddy stupid that!

That's a good point. Don't know what area of Swansea the OP will be living in, but the bus links down to the Uni from the Quadrant are excellent. And if the OP is nervous of driving around Swansea then it would be an altogether more relaxing experience with a nice view to look at as you're being driven down Oystermouth/Mumbles Road.

Jxx
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    viv0147 wrote: »
    Hi if you can get a sat nav, I have found mine invaluable it instructs me quite often which lane to get in.
    I have been driving 35 years but with all the road changes my sat-nav is a wonderful help.

I feel for this Guy I used to drive transit type vans round swansea with firepalces in them its unbelevably bad road system..I Have driven round Hanger LAne in london thousands of times and would prefer to do that blindfolded with my head stapled to the backseat than drive through swansea everyday...

And just to make things worse OP The Queen and hubby are coming on March the 17-19 ish for some state visit so don't bother going outside..
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
  • Janepig
    OddjobKIA wrote: »
    I feel for this Guy I used to drive transit type vans round swansea with firepalces in them its unbelevably bad road system..I Have driven round Hanger LAne in london thousands of times and would prefer to do that blindfolded with my head stapled to the backseat than drive through swansea everyday...

And just to make things worse OP The Queen and hubby are coming on March the 17-19 ish for some state visit so don't bother going outside..

Friday March 7th. Won't you be there waving your flag J? :D

Jxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business