Free Smoke Alarm with 10 year Battery

Options
HI All
The London Fire Brigade offers a free service for all those who live in the Greater London Area they are conducting Free Home Fire Safety Checks and will fit a free smoke alarm with 10 year battery if you do not currently have a working smoke alarm
call 08000 28-44-28

or send details to
smokealarm@london-fire.gov.uk

For more information visit -- http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/fire_safety/community_fire_safety/home_fire_safety_checks.asp

Official Note:

This is also applicable to other places, not just London. Other local fire brigades provide fire assessments and smoke alarms.

Comments

• elfmay
    elfmay Posts: 18,716 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up! :D

I've said it before so i'll say it again! Contact your local Fire brigade if you don't have smoke alarms fitted in your home! (WHY!!!) They save lives! I speak from experience!!!!!!!!! A friend lost his brother in a house fire and still bears the scars (emotionally and physically!)

Most Fire brigades provide and install them for free!!!!! GET THEM IN!!!!!

If they don't they are usually less than a fiver (PK of cigs?) from most DIY retailers!!!!!! ;)
    I need someone really bad! Are you really bad?
  • welshblob
    welshblob Posts: 450 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm just in the process of replacing my parents ones that are about 15 years old. That 10 year battery offer is very good as Wickes are selling them for about £15 each. A good valve pack that I've found is from Argos for £7.99. I think you get a basic one with a test button and a slightly better one with a hush button. Picking them up later so I'll let you know what they are like.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=117357&clickfrom=image
    Rob
  • shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    Options
    We got one fitted for free a few years ago by my local fire brigade. There were free for people on low incomes.

I heard one fire brigade in Yorkshire giving free microwaves to some people so that they would scrap chip pans.

I think some fire brigade's are now concentration there efforts of prevention more.

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    Options
    i have a extension on my house so i have 2 in the hallway. one at the bottom and one near the extension. incase you dont hear the one at the bottom. they also have lights on them that come on in the event of fire handy if your electrics burn out in the fire..
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi webfuz,

Welcome to mse :)

As this is free, I hope you don't mind if I move your thread over to the freebies board.

Pink
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It's not just London and Hampshire - I was on a Fire Awareness course a couple of weeks ago and they told me it was the whole country... not sure about Scotland and Wales but would be surprised if they don't do the same.

I just sent the following email to my friends and family and wanted to post it here as a heads up to everyone else.

I was on a fire awareness course a couple of weeks ago and found out that all fire brigades in the country will come out and do a fire safety check at your home for free. If you don't have a smoke alarm (or if you don't have enough for your house) they will fit them for you for free and with ten year batteries too. In my case they also replaced my present alarm because it wasn't very good.

They have just come out to do mine this morning and have fitted an extra alarm and checked that we have escape routes planned etc, check your plug sockets aren't overloaded and that you switch everything off and unplug where possible. It's really good - and doesn't take very long.

I can highly recommend that you all take advantage of this as it could save your life - and having seen a video of a fire in a typical living room, this isn't an exaggeration.

Just phone your local fire brigade and they'll be able to put you through if you ask for a fire safety check for your home.

One more tip, for if you're stuck in a smoke filled room, get down so you don't get overcome by the fumes, and find a wall and follow it round til you find your door. Practise doing this at home! If you have kids, make a game of it - blindfold them and help them practice finding their way out of the house.

Buy a fire blanket (ESPECIALLY if you have a chip pan) and an extinguisher and keep them handy. Know how to use them!

Keep your doors shut at night to prevent fire from spreading.

If you have double glazing and only a small window that opens in your bedroom, know where to hit the glass to have the best chance of breaking it (the bottom corner).

None of these measures cost very much or take very long, but they could save your life.

Good luck all :)
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Great post. I've just booked an appointment for them to go round my nans house.

That is a fantastic bit of info.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There's no reason why people shouldnt take them up on this offer. Even if you can't get one for free, there so cheap these days less than a fiver. So go on what you waiting for.
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I just booked for my nan. The woman on the phone said that after they carry out the fire check. They will fit any smoke alarms that are needed for free. They carry them along to the appointment, so will do this straight away.

If the appointment is for a pensioner on their own. They can set a password, so when they call around. The person will know that they are genuine.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The Fire Brigade people who told me about this are quite happy to come out for anyone and everyone - they want to prevent as many fires as possible. He turned up at 9am, went through a questionnaire with me and fitted two smoke alarms in less than 30 minutes. I am telling everyone I know about it.

I plan to tell my husband's grandparents about it so they can get a check done on their place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport