PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Curtains - Dry clean or wash them myself?

Options

Comments

• sarahsarah
    Options
    What about borrowing a steam cleaner to get the creases out?
  • boybeck
    boybeck Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think absfabs story is a bit of a warning, I won't take the risk then and get them dry cleaned.

They only weigh three kilos so that shouldn't cost too much.
  • balmaiden
    balmaiden Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    Difficult one, I have washed dry clean only curtains succesfully,but, I have also managed to shrink some very expensive laura ashley curtains.On balance I wouldn't risk it again.
    Away with the fairies.... Back soon
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    They can shrink with dry cleaning too though, and you will probably be asked to sign a disclaimer so there won't be any come-back if they do. My living room curtains were made at John Lewis and shrank about 3 inches after being dry cleaned (fortunately they were floor length with a deep hem so I was able just to let them down). My bedroom curtains were also JL and made of similar material and I washed them in a cold machine wash for delicates, and they also shrank but not by as much.
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If they aren't dirty don't clean them :) How about just getting them ironed at your local lauderette (if they are too big to handle) or even steaming them.

After several disasters with dry cleaners I don't get anything done now unless it is dirty and needs it. Cleaning for the sake of it is pointless and you always take a risk that the item will be damaged.
  • marybishop
    marybishop Posts: 761 Forumite
    Options
    I was told by a friend who makes curtains as a profession (and she's very good!!) that you should only vacuum curtains, even steam cleaning can shrink them! I don't do it often enough (in fact hardly ever) but I'm sure if I did they'd look and feel a lot better!!
  • Poggie123
    Poggie123 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    I've just had a look at the curtains I was going to wash today and they're dry clean only. Johnsons cleaners have an offer on (!) but they're still £20 a pair and i've got 2 pairs :eek:

So.......do I dare wash them in the machine at 30 degrees or should I pay £40 to get them cleaned?? :confused: Advice please :D
  • moo2moo
    moo2moo Posts: 4,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What are they made from? Do you have any tie backs that you could do a test run on first? What did you pay for the curtains in the first place? What will it cost you to replace them should they shrink or the colours run?
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50
  • Poggie123
    Poggie123 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Just checked the label and the curtains and lining are 50% cotton 50% polyester and the bonding (?) is 100% acrylic. They're plain cream with a slightly lighter lining so there aren't any colours to run thankfully. They cost £50 a pair.

No tiebacks - but a great idea - i'd never have thought of that :o Must be having the same sort of dim day I had when I bought dry clean only curtains :rolleyes:
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE Posts: 8,547 Forumite
    Options
    I've washed dry clean suit trousers and even jackets sucessfully but when I attempted to hand wash a pair of dry clean curtains I found they shrunk a couple of inches and also the backing pulled slightly from the curtain as they shrunk differently.It was an expensive mistake for me.I only tried to do them myself as I had paid nearly £30 at the cleaners and they had come back looking unsatisfactory.My curtains were cotton/polyester mix also.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure