PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Curtains - Dry clean or wash them myself?

Options
My front room curtains could do with a wash being cream they start to look yellowy! I called the dry cleaners and they will charge £65 to dry clean them :eek: I was amazed as you can buy a new pair for that. Is there any way I can wash them? The tag does say dry clean only, there not lined but they are quite thick cotton I think.

Comments

• fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    mine stated the same, i have a delicate programe on my washing machine, i used that with a small amount of soap powder and they came out fine (minor creasing which soon dropped out)
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • frugalfairy_3
    Options
    If they're thick cotton they may shrink if you wash them. If they have large hems on and you're prepared to let them down if necessary, I would wash them either in the bath with cool water, or on a gentle wash as fizzel81 suggests.

Good luck. FF
  • KraftyKate_2
    Options
    Can't you get something from the supermarket to "dry clean" things at home in your tumble dryer? I remember doing it a couple of years ago with delicate clothes. Depends on the size of your curtains tho'. I washed some curtains and they shrunk but the lining didn't, making them look kind of interesting.........
    It's a nice day today, how about giving them a good beating on the washing line and leaving the sun to do the rest??
    Good luck!!
  • nuttyrockeress
    Options
    You could take them to the launderette. Most of them have a dry cleaning machine that the public can use for a fraction of the price!
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sometimes they will say dry clean only if they are quite heavy fabric and unsuitable when wet for a domestic machine, or if they will be very difficult to iron.
    Depending on the size of them I would try washing in the machine one at a time on a delicate wash.

Isn't it crazy that you can buy something new, cheaper than you can have it cleaned for?
    pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • laughing_cow
    Options
    My living room curtains are looking a bit grubby but I'm trying to rein in my dry cleaning spending. The label says 'Dry Clean Only' but they are 100% cotton (unlined, quite heavy cotton), so they're not a 'special' fabric - would I be able to chuck them in the washing machine? :confused:

Ta.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've washed heavy double lined curtains that came with drycleaning advice in the washing machine in the past, so should think yours would be ok in the washing machine too. Use a low temperature & only a token spin to be on the safe side.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cotton curtains can shrink so be warned.
  • laughing_cow
    Options
    Thank you - will give it a go. Not too worried about them shrinking - they're too long anyway and I've never got round to having them shortened :rolleyes: :D
  • emilyt
    emilyt Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cattie wrote:
    I've washed heavy double lined curtains that came with drycleaning advice in the washing machine in the past, so should think yours would be ok in the washing machine too. Use a low temperature & only a token spin to be on the safe side.
    Yes i agree i washed my curtains that were 100% cotton. Put them on a wool wash and they came out fine. It wasn't worth having them dry cleaned as i could have bought some new ones for the same price. Hope they come out ok for you.
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure