PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Curtains - Dry clean or wash them myself?

Options

Comments

• hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you - will give it a go. Not too worried about them shrinking - they're too long anyway and I've never got round to having them shortened :rolleyes: :D

In that case, go for it, good luck.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I guess this will be too late but DON'T DO IT... I washed my cream 100% cotton bedroom curtains on a delicate wash low spin and not only did they shrink which didn't really matter they creased to -uggery... no amount of ironing would get the creases out ... I tried steaming them at the windows and washing again and folding , nothing worked they were ruined.... but saying that I couldn't afford to buy new ones so they are still up at the windows and they look a right state.. :rotfl:
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • vivaladiva
    vivaladiva Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    Options
    I have some ridiculously expensive, very large, very heavy, interlined curtains. Each curtain weighs about 10Kg. They would potentially stop a draught at 100 paces! However they need freshening up and I have been quoted about £50 per curtain to get them cleaned. :eek: :eek: Do you think I dare a) bung them in the biggest machine at the laundrette and give them a cool wash? or b) have a go at steaming them? The fabric is 100% cotton.
    Any other suggestions would be most gratefully received.
    Thanks in advance.
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
  • tobydog27
    Options
    I would not advise you to wash your curtains (100% cotton) they would shrink, by how much would depend on temperature of wash etc.

I would advise you to "Steam-Clean" them while in position using a cheap steam-gun.... http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4060716.htm
    as an example.

Hope this helps.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dry cleaning is advised because of the difference in the fabric in the curtain, the lining and the interlining. Mum works in a fabric shop and people spend thousands on one pair of curtains. If they are as good as they sound to be, then £50 for cleaning is at least less than replacing them!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I made some really cheap curtains from calico for my son - it says it shrinks 6% so washed a low temp and was fine but if I had bought really expensive ones I would pay to dry clean them - sometimes the launderette has a dry cleaning machine you can use!
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    We have just been decorating and I was toying with the idea of having my huge curtains drycleaned, we have 3 picture windows so you can imagine how much it would cost. I decided to take them down whilst we painted and hoover them, they were a little dusty around the tape and across the tops but they now look good again. I wouldn't put them in the washer either too risky.

If they smell musty or of smoke try febreeze and hang out on a dry but windy day.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    Years ago I made my mother some really heavy curtains. She regarded dry cleaning as 'stuff and nonsense' and when they were only a year old (she was a heavy smoker) she washed them and absolutely destroyed them. The main fabric shrank and warped, the lining shrank differently etc etc.

I'm not sure I'd even steam clean them. Perhaps hoovering them will transform them, and if this weather holds an hour or two on the line would freshen them.

Is 'shrank' a real word? It looks very odd!
  • JoeyEmma
    Options
    It would cost a fortune to replace them. Bunging them in the washer or steam cleaning them could turn out to be false economy.
  • aimeelister
    Options
    Our curtains are dry clean only, but i couldnt be bothered to do that so i put them in on a 30o wool wash and they came out fab.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure