PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Curtains - Dry clean or wash them myself?

Options

Comments

• slash69
    slash69 Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    years ago i had two sofas with removable covers they were dry cleaning only one day when hanging out washing dd got hold of a bottle of cooking oil (shouldnt have left it on worktop) she spilt it all over one of my sofas:eek: i cried buckets then rang sil who said bung em in the washing machine on a wool wash. so i did they came out perfectly clean and with no shrinkage or damage :Tand everytime they got grubby after that i just washed them i must have saved a fortune on dry cleaning.personally i think i'd risk the washing machine on a wool wash
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have 3 windows in my sitting room, so 3 pairs of curtains, all dry clean, they were quite expensive so I have no intention of washing and they will cost a fortune to dry clean. I do hoover them once in a while. They are nowhere near any grease or grime but they will get dusty probably, so I plan to just hang them on the washing line in the summer and give them a beating and airing.;) Maybe once in a blue moon I will send them to the dry cleaners.

I usually like washable curtains but these were the only ones that would go with my furniture!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Way I see it, £40 at dry cleaners would buy a new pair if I had them cleaned, if I wash them (one pair) and something happened (which I haven't had a problem yet) I'll just get a new pair with the money I'd saved on not getting them dry cleaned :rotfl:
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • fishing-girl
    Options
    i have some m&s curtains with a bonded blackout lining (dry clean only) i have washed these about 4 times over the last few years.
    the only problem is that the bonded lining is starting to look a bit patchy in places.
    i washed them on a hand wash cycle and tumble dryed,

i have to say that i didnt realise that they were dry clean only when i first washed them, it was only when i was ironing them to put back up that i read the care label :confused: .
    :hello: :j
  • DanceInThe_Dark
    Options
    I've machine washed dry clean curtains with mixed results.....
    Some came out fantastic and others came out like dish rags. However, with a good iron and hanging in a dampish room the creases came out and they were good as new.
    Worst case was when a pair of patio curtains lost two inches but as they were a bit long originally it wasn't a problem. Now I don't cut curtains shorter just do a big hem just in case.

I'd wash on a wool cycle and line dry - but then I've had problems with stuff coming back from the dry cleaners non-too-clean - and think it is worth the risk.
  • Poggie123
    Poggie123 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    OK I think i'll give them a good hoover and if they really need it i'll be brave and wash one set on a cool wool wash and hang them on the line. I'll do the back ones so if they shrink it won't be too drastic. I don't want to pay the dry cleaning if I can help it, especially as the results don't sound great!

Thank you for all your help :D:D:D
  • Nicifer_noonoo
    Options
    You could always hang them over a bath filled with hot water to freshen them up :)
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options
    How much did they cost and what would you have to pay now to replace them? If they were cheap, wash em - nothing to lose... If not, play it safe and get em dry cleaned...
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I washed some a few years ago and they shrank by about 3 inches, only trouble was, the lining didn't shrink so was longer than the curtains!
    I was only washing them to sell so it wasn't a problem.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I need the help of you wonderful oldstylers ......i normally wash anything that says 'dry clean only' in my washing machine (as the things i wash aren't expensive, usually my husbands work trousers. However, i need to clean my curtains as they have been up for ages without a clean.

I bought them five years ago (i know thats disgusting not washing them for five years but i really never gave them another thought). I got them for £30 in a sale, down from £160...what a bargain!

Anyway, should i actually take them to the dry cleaners as the label says or risk washing them at 40 degrees in my washing machine....i need your advice.

The label states they are:70% cotton, 30% polyester and the lining is 50/50 polyester/cotton

What do you all think?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport