We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
BT cutting off broadband access
Comments
-
This type of article is why I gave up on The Guardian, this is not bullying by any stretch.
2 -
it’s remarkable how many say they never received anything when it’s invariably a relative posting the complaint, but consider the alternative, happy in the ignorance of the telephone switch off coming their way in Jan2027 , they are moved from PSTN with broadband ( or PSTN only not everyone has broadband ) but everyone needs to be off PSTN ) and moved to PDPL or EVAc
I don't want to take the thread off on a tangent, but what is PDPL and EVAc?
I ask as I have a phone line only (no broadband linked to it) and the service provider has not been in touch with me about the service switch off. I am certain they have not been in touch as I am aware of the service switch off so actually monitoring anything received to positively check for comment around this subject. If I do nothing and the service provider does nothing, what happens?
0 -
I don't want to take the thread off on a tangent, but what is PDPL and EVAc?
PDPL - Pre-digital Phone Line - stopgap between legacy PSTN and digital phone lines
https://www.btwholesale.com/products-and-services/voice/pre-digital-phone-line.html
EVAc - absolutely no idea what this is
0 -
EVAc - absolutely no idea what this is
From the post that introduced the acronym:
Emergency Voice access line (so 999 calls only)
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
who is your phone only service with , both PDPL and EVAc are really only for those that are with BT or on BT wholesale WLR products (so BT Consumer don’t supply the billing ) so if you are not with BT Consumer , you would need to consult with whoever you do use ……Talk Talk for example (assuming they don’t go out if business, which is pretty likely) were actually using this a selling point , they have their own telephone equipment in the ‘BT’ exchange, that isn’t affected by the PSTN switch off in January 2027 , so TT phone only customer currently don’t need to worry about Jan2027 leaving them with no telephone service, that’s assuming they are still in business by then .
PDPL is a phone service BT provide for BT phone only customers , BT will contact these customers when their service is to be transferred and told to expect a small break in service during the change , PDPL is similar to the current service , so for most the change will hardly be noticeable.
EVAc (Emergency Voice Access ) is basic way to contact the emergency services once Jan 2027 has arrived and the PSTN is switched off , in these cases , the customer has made no attempt to arrange any alternative to their current PSTN service with their provider, which probably won’t be BT Consumer division as they are likely to be on PDPL .
0 -
I am with TalkTalk but, I think, on BT / Openreach infrastructure.
0 -
The Openreach infrastructure is irrelevant, if you are on a Talk Talk MSAN (multi service access node) in the exchange, BT have nothing to do with your service , TT give you dialtone from their MSAN , that travels down Openreach wires to your home , as stated you should be more worried about TT remaining in business rather than the PSTN retirement as it doesn’t really affect you or TT .
As a way to differentiate, a BT telephone only customer is connected to the BT exchange equipment (the PSTN , publicly switched telephone network ) which is the equipment in the exchange that belongs to them , this is older than MSAN tech , but BT are moving towards IP telephony, not MSANs delivering dialtone, that’s why the majority of telephone customers especially with broadband will connect the phone to their router in the future, even TT in some circumstances do this , but not for legacy phone only customers, it tens to be their FTTP customers, because their MSANs are irrelevant when it comes to FTTP .
0 -
Well, I was with Post Office, then Shell, then Octopus, and now TalkTalk. Whether that legacy is with TT MSAN, I have no idea. How do I find out?
The potential failure of TT and yet another transfer to yet another service provider is just another complication in the system.
0 -
You ask how can you find out , you call and ask them , but as stated they were making a virtue of not having a PSTN retirement date , because they don’t use PSTN equipment , presumably that’s why they have not contacted you , there is no need to , obviously without knowing what the future holds as far as Talk Talk , all you can say for now is the PSTN retirement doesn’t directly affect you as a TT customer.
Years ago , TT basically bought BT telephony (PSTN) at wholesale prices , then billed you as their retail customer , when they became a network provider in their own right rather than simply reselling other companies products (when they installed MSAN’s in BT exchanges) they transfered customers like you off BT and onto themselves,because they were already billing that customer for telephony, anyone in that situation wouldn’t even notice , dialtone from an MSAN sounds the same as PSTN dialtone , MSAN can also provide broadband, so you are effectively connected to broadband but that part is disabled by TT and you just get telephony , they haven’t sold this arrangement for years .
TT have a division that acts like BT wholesale, in that the flog wholesale access to their MSAN’s to anyone that wants to use it , the likes of Shell , Octopus or whoever , as well as having their own retail brand Talk Talk , these wholesale brands will be affected if TT go bust .
You say the potential failure of TT and transfer to another provider is a complication, it’s more than that , if TT isn’t rescued, the MSANs effectively get switched off ( TT won’t be paying the electricity bill or Openreach for the exchange space and line rental ) so they can’t simply change the name on your bill and keep delivering service ….only some sort of rescue deal can do that , and that looks increasingly unlikely .
0 -
I don't know why I feel the need to defend myself - I was aware that there was a switch needed, but as my home doesn't have an active phone line I wasn't aware of the timetable. I had seen one letter some time ago to my mother, but that was just to say this was coming and to recognise she had telecare/ was vulnerable.
I am questioning whether there were enough letters sent. All post is left for me to handle so I would have seen them. Any letter requesting action by us would have been acted on, not ignored.
The Guardian article is interesting, I'd certainly class this as bullying - I collected the letter, rang and was assured it was all ok, then BT "by mistake" suspended the broadband. I hate to think how elderly people without family/ friends close by will be dealt with.
And yes, I do have POA and most correspondence is sent to me direct or by email; as all utilities have just been ticking along on direct debit I've not yet taken these on, other than checking that each has her listed as vulnerable.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

