We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How do I choose a new mattress?

I've got currently a Tempur but it's 12 years old and coming to the end of its comfortable life.

I don't mind spending a lot of money but how do I find the perfect mattress? The best ones aren't generally on display in bed stores and I don't want to spend £1,000 on a hand made one and then find i don't get on with it.

How do I do this essential research?

( I'm not asking for specific mattress recommendations because what suits you may not suit me)

«1

Comments

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I'm not sure which bed stores you are going to, but the ones near us have a huge range of mattresses from under £100 into the high £000's. In addition, almost all reputable online mattress retailers will offer a free trial period (be careful to check the terms).

    When we changed mattresses last year we tried two online retailers (sent both back - one faulty and one uncomfortable) and ended up buying from a physical shop after trying most of their range in-store. The one we bought still had a 180 day return guarantee if we didn't get on with it at home.

  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 October at 10:18AM

    If you like the Tempur and have got 12 years out of it (bed makers generally suggest a 10 year life) then get another, surely?

    We went to the Hypnos Factory / Showroom as well as a few local retailers the last few times we've replaced beds. This time we went super king zip-link so I had a firmer on one side and a medium on the other to suit us better. Should have done it years ago.

    NB the base as well as the mattress need consideration as a whole…

  • StewedApple
    StewedApple Posts: 199 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 1 October at 10:39AM

    One of the few things I always buy from an independent regional retailer if I can - try before you buy.

    I would spend some time online looking at how quality mattresses are made (usually sprung steel in one form or another, with natural waddings, and natural coverings). Cheaper mattresses tend to be foam-based - often with a bewildering array of trade-marked featurettes to give the product some credibility to the unknowing. Foam mattresses offer poor support, degrade, and have poor heat-wicking qualities.

    Find a couple you like at prices you can afford and then which outlets nearby offer them. Phone the retailer to confirm they have them in stock then visit. You may find the ones you initially liked were too hard / too firm and like Goldilocks you'll go for something else.

    Worth spending the time and money on as a good night's sleep is never to skimped on. Pay by credit card to ensure your S75 rights apply. A good mattress should last 15-20 years so the initially higher-prices ones may be much better value for money.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,625 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I have been casually looking recently and I had a look at Tempur. Not very MSE prices !

    Anyway this recent thread could be of interest.

    Advice On Buying A Bed - Page 3 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Find a good independent and try as many as you can cross all prices, also be aware the mattress has to be matched to the bed base. A slatted base or ottoman base needs a different mattress to a divan base, That will reduce your options.

    Price is no indication of personal comfort. We tried dozens from a few hundred to many thousands (purely to see if there was a difference!), the £400 option won the day. Price is more of an indication of country of manufacture and materials.

  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 8,613 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    My approach is to go to my local independent bed shop and try laying on each mattress. They have a number of options, and put a different one on each bed.

    There aren't that many different types. The common ones would be open sprung (cheap), pocket sprung (better), memory foam (may or may not suit you) and pocket sprung with a bit of memory foam on top (that's the sort I like). And they come in different soft/firm grades.

    A good mattress will cost a few hundred pounds.

    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • kipsterno1
    kipsterno1 Posts: 598 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I found this site useful,

    https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/knowledge-hub/?_gl=1gqphyp_upMQ.._gaMjI1MTczMTcwLjE3OTA4NTczMzA._ga_L71REJEQ9H*czE3OTA4NTczMjkkbzEkZzAkdDE3OTA4NTczMjkkajYwJGwwJGgyMjMxNzUwNzA.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,625 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    There is also -pocket sprung but with a soft covering on top ( not foam) .

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,298 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    I bought mine from Dreams. You can try out mattresses instore.

  • starving_artist
    starving_artist Posts: 907 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    A good starting point if your local library offers access to Which? Magazine would be to have a look at their review of mattresses.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.