We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Virgin Compensation
Comments
-
Ok I might give that a go and see how far that gets me, thank you. Yeah that's what I would have thought, that I didn't respond so they'd have followed up but clearly not. I have checked so so many times that I didn't just miss it and there is no way the email was sent to me personally.
0 -
Did you book direct with Virgin?
0 -
I did, yes
1 -
They would just have to show that they sent the email to the address you had given them. They wont be held liable if your email server put it into the Spam folder, you accidentally deleted it unread or your server was down at the time.
0 -
Airlines generally default to one method and ask to contact them if you want another.
0 -
My point was really that if they sent an email offering options, in the expectation that passengers would effectively be obliged to make a conscious choice of which to go for, a case could potentially be made that, in the absence of a response, the airline should issue some sort of reminder, but if the passenger had supplied both an email address and a phone number (which does seem pretty standard procedure when booking flights, for this very reason of establishing multiple channels of communication in the event of issues) then a similar argument could be deployed that the airline could have tried harder to make contact.
0 -
Not really.
Ive had the exact same thing happen with Ryanair. They cancelled a flight and put me on a later one by default, and said if I wanted to go on a different one or wanted a refund I would have to log in and action it. Which is fine.
They used the agreed contact method to contact me. Which is what Virgin likely did here, put everyone on the later one by default and if that wasnt agreeable to then contact them. They can't just say "contact us" because some people simply wont bother so putting people on a later one by default is quite clearly the best option in that event,
Most people would have likely taken the time change (a 5 hour change on a 10 hour flight is minimal) so what do you expect Virgin to do, ring round them all because they didnt log in because they didnt need to?
0 -
Yes, fair point, if the email was structured along the lines of 'you're rebooked onto the later flight unless we hear from you' then that wouldn't require any active response.
And I'm not actually arguing that the airline definitely did anything wrong, just observing potential areas to explore if OP is determined to pursue the matter, another of which is whether or not a single channel of communication was nominated as the preferred option (as in your example), but I do agree that it's unlikely that OP will secure compensation…
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
