We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Virgin Compensation
Hi all,
I had a flight with Virgin Atlantic on the 4th of September, LAX-LHR, it was cancelled and we were put on a flight 5 hours later. Now I know usually this would mean I’m entitled to that £520 (like I was for the flight there which was also cancelled…).
I’ve applied for the compensation however they have rejected it saying they sent an email on August 3rd meaning they don’t have to provide any compensation, I never received this email, I’ve checked multiple times in all my inboxes including spam and I’m 100% certain I never received the email.
Do I have a leg to stand on here?
Comments
-
Do VA have an app with your booking details, boarding cards etc like most other airlines?
Would they have pushed a notification about flight cancellation to there?
0 -
Surely nothing is due as its essentially a five hour timing change notified a month in advance? When did you actually find out about it?
0 -
Have you asked them to re-send the email?
0 -
Rules for cancelled flights are different, if you have more than 2 weeks notice you have no right for compensation. Instead you are entitled to either a full refund or to be rebooked on another flight. You were rebooked and took the flight, if you had less than 2 weeks notice then you are entitled to compensation on top if the rebooked flight is going to delay you
0 -
Did you book direct with Virgin?
0 -
Suspect the argument here is they didnt get a months notice because they didnt see the email. But not sure how far that will get them, plus they dont actually say when they ACTUALLY found out (was it only when they got to the airport?)
0 -
They do have an app yes, but I don't think the app has the ability to push notifications, it certainly didn't
0 -
You might try citing article 5(4) to them?
The burden of proof concerning the questions as to whether and when the passenger has been informed of the cancellation of the flight shall rest with the operating air carrier.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/eur/2004/261/article/5
However, chances are they'll be able to demonstrate that it would have been sent, but it does perhaps beg the question of why they didn't follow up after lack of a response, assuming that they'd have offered affected passengers the choice between a refund or a rebooking, in the expectation that everyone would choose one or the other?
Were there a whole planeload of passengers milling around LAX expecting the flight to go ahead and having to be accommodated on the later one?
Did you have any other email contact from them at any stage?
0 -
I found out the night before the flight when I went to double check the times on the app.
0 -
But my thought process is as I never received the email, I didn't get 2 weeks notice, technically I received about 12 hours of notice only because I checked the app.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

