We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Can't get any offers with soft checks
Comments
-
I'm not bothered if it isn't a mainstream lender, just as long as it would be accepted for car hire (primarily) over the world.
0 -
There is no definitive answer as regards the number of searches - each lender will have different criteria. But a very rough rule of thumb might be something like a couple of searches per month.
The outcome of any search - accepted or declined - is not recorded, only the fact that a search was made. Though of course, a lender might reasonably infer (rightly or wrongly) that a lot of searches with no corresponding new credit product appearing on your file means you are being rejected a lot.
0 -
What makes you so sure people are getting credit cards in those circumstances?
Most people with savings/investments have worked at some point and may have cards from that time. Or they are HNW and qualify for a card with the bank they hold investments with.
Once you have a card, as long as you make the payments, a lender is unlikely to rescind it.
0 -
Maybe, maybe not.
Really don't get why you so averse to making one application, either to Zable or your own bank. You are overthinking the affect of one hard search.
0 -
Does it change if you list your occupation as retired? I suspect if you're entering "unemployed" you're going to hit an initial exclusion barrier.
I am retired, and I have disparate income including actual pension but a lot of other stuff from savings and so on which isn't fixed amounts. I have no problem getting credit cards despite nominally quite low regular income.
You will have a base level of extraction monthly. You should be getting some level of regular income via monthly interest payments and what have you. I would say you can truthfully claim the taxed equivalent of that as income.
0 -
Another problem you are likely to encounter is that as you have no income and I assume no existing credit cards , then even if you do manage to get one it may only have a very small limit ie £250, which will not be very useful foe hiring a car.
0 -
Ok that cleared up a misconception I had.
0 -
I just assumed most people do have credit cards and even more so if they are relatively well off. Your point about acquiring one while still in work and holding on to it nay be valid though.
0 -
Wouldn't it be questionable to say I'm retired if I'm not drawing a pension or at least old enough to do (I'm neither old enough to draw on my state pension or my sipp)? My experience with the questionnaires is that they ask for salary (or pension and benefits) and savings/investment separately. But the latter doesn't seen to count while entering even a low salary or pension of eg £10000 returns lots of pre-approvals. This might be why you are able to get a card despite your pension income being low, it has nothing to do with your investments.
0 -
True, but it would be better than nothing if I can hire for a few days rather than a week let's say. Also ot would hopefully be stepping stone. I still want to do as much research as possible before committing to a hard search, clearly.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards