We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can't get any offers with soft checks

I used several eligibility checkers but they all came up with no offers not even for credit builder cards. Depending on what website I use, my credit score is in the 700s or 800s although some of them failed to verify identity. My salary is zero because I'm unemployed and living off substantial savings, is this likely to be the main issue and what can I do about it? (Working isn't currently an option)

«1345

Comments

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 29 September at 3:19PM

    Zero income = no credit card. They won't take savings into account.

    Do you receive any benefits?

    And ignore your credit score.

  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 16,384 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I would imagine that zero income is the issue. Since retiring I found it difficult to get credit cards with decent limits even though I have substantial savings and investments. I can at least put my pension income in now and I include regular monthly withdrawals from an investment portfolio. Can you do that?

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2026 Challenge £12000/£10,000
    365 day 1p Challenge 2026 £667.95/£600.31
    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 5,725 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Absolutely as above, zero income means no credit card.

  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Your credit score is totally irrelevant, but lack of income is very relevant. Savings are never taken into account when assessing credit applications, for the simple fact that there's nothing to stop you going out tomorrow and blowing the lot on a world cruise or a Ferrari.

    Is there a reason you need a credit card?

  • hassn48
    hassn48 Posts: 20 Newbie
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    I have too many savings and investments to be eligible for any benefits, and not old enough to draw a pension. I have income from investments, but I'm not withdrawing it according to a fixed schedule. I just sell some shares as and when needed. But in the questionnaires they've asked for salary and ive had to enter zero, in some cases i had to enter a minimum amount although this isnt true. You have to enter other income like savings in a different box. If I enter a normal salary like £30k it comes up with a list of pre-approved cards, but if I enter (for ex) £5k salary and £25k savings income I dont get any.

  • hassn48
    hassn48 Posts: 20 Newbie
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    I need one for hotel bookings and car hire. In some countries when you rely on a debit card it can be extremely limiting and in some cases impossible to hire a car. I also need one occasionally for S75 protection. Apart fron these specific purposes I dont intend to use it much.

  • hassn48
    hassn48 Posts: 20 Newbie
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    īIs this an absolute rule? If so I havnt seen it mentioned anywhere before. I thought that you could get cards for bad credit, unemployed or anything except the terms wouldn't be as good but you could use them to improve your eligibility for better cards.

  • Sherlock33
    Sherlock33 Posts: 53 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    If you can't work due to illness or disability then you could be eligible for new style ESA or PIP, both are not means tested. I know it wasn't your question but thought it was worth making you aware.

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Some may get a card on benefits as that is a regular source of income, which you don't have.

  • hassn48
    hassn48 Posts: 20 Newbie
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    This article for example says that being unemployed shouldn't be a barrier: https://www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/credit-cards-for-unemployed/
    Although it doesnt strictly apply to me, what would someone who is FIRE do?
    Would it make sensd to quickly get a salaried job stacking shelves, apply and get the credit card then immediately quit?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.