We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
VARS fine for fuel - cashier didn't charge me
Went into a fuel station now three weeks ago, bought something (can't remember what, it was 3.80) and was not charged for the fuel, what are my rights here? Them asking for a £35 surcharge is insanity, especially when it is not my error. I am obviously going to contact them asking to waive this, but I thought I would ask here on the best way to word it? I also see no transaction for the date given at all, however there is one for the day before (where this 3.80 is) so it's impossible to completely retrace steps, as the image provided as evidence is also not dated.
If this is wrong section. let me know the right section
Comments
-
Did you have any fuel or just go in for something to the value of £3.80?
1 -
As it was weeks ago, cannot confirm or deny this
Notice was issued yesterday, 21 days after the alleged 'theft'
0 -
If you had fuel, you must have thought that you haven't been charged for it. If you didn't, the £3.80 must have seemed like a normal transaction. Surely you knew if you had fuel or not between the pump and the kiosk and therefore anticipated what you were about to be charged.
1 -
This is the confusing part. Would of been very easy to rectify this with a notification, but i wasn't offered a receipt and i'm not one to really check statements much unless there's an issue (like now, because things like this are very rare, guess i'll be turning them back on now as a safety net) I know for a fact if I had fuel i'd have paid for it as I always do that first, but like I said, the date on the notice that claims i've 'stolen' and this day don't even line up. I visit this garage regularly, seems genuinely odd? possibly an admin error? almost impossible to prove either way though
0 -
well I would say you have technically stolen the petrol. Paying 3.80 you must have know that you didn’t pay at some point. Maybe not at station but later when you had more money than expected in your account.
I appreciate this is not what you want to hear. Personally I would pay up and apologise.
0 -
Study the other VARS posts and threads posted on here over the last few months. ( 2026. )
2 -
Well this is my question, I am not against paying for the FUEL, as if I DID have the fuel, regardless if I told them or not, I am all up for making it even. but I am not paying an admin fee, which consists of probably 40p of costs at most.
Edit
Theft requires intent, so there is no technical here. The fuel was not stolen. Please read up on this before making false accusation statements.
1 -
If you honestly believed everything was paid for when you left, there is no crime. If you did take fuel, you owe for it. Whether you owe the £35 depends on the contract. It likely isn't due.
I'm a random person on the internet. I hold no legal qualifications and nothing I say is advice.
2 -
Just Pay for the fuel only, not the additional charges
3 -
Yeah. I will go down this route. I have used this garage 100s of times, and never not paid. Some transactions £120+. Very odd of them to think I would intentionally steal £10
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

