We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Looking for laptop suggestions
Hi,
I am looking for a cheap laptop to be used for email and youtube and other web browsing. Ideally I would like a reasonably bright screen but I realise that this may not be compatible with cheap. I have found this at Argos. I wonder if anyone has better suggestions or comments on this laptop:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8398037?clickSR=slp:term:hp%20dq6%20laptop:1:114:1&_gl=11ovuhw4_upMQ.._gaMTg2NDc5MDc2MC4xNzg5OTg2NjAw_ga_JWCPD5SJK1*czE3ODk5ODY1OTkkbzEkZzAkdDE3ODk5ODY1OTkkajYwJGwwJGgyOTM5NTE0Njc.
(I am aware that I would need to buy a separate charging pack (45W - 100W, USB-c))
Thank you
Comments
-
You shopping in the instant E waste catagory/price range….. so do some research/take your time…. or get burnt .
0 -
You'd get a much better laptop for not much more money if you were to consider a refurb from HP, Dell etc.
How important is size, portability etc?
1 -
Unless you specifically want something new, for warranty or whatever, then you'd be better off looking at something used, you could pick something up that would be significantly faster.
Prices have gone mental of late, both RAM and SSD prices are through the roof due to this Ai thing that seems to be buzzing around..
Also, maybe an iPad/tablet with a keyboard folio, but that would depend on a smaller screen so might not be appropriate.
1 -
What did you get back in November 23 when you last asked about laptops?
1 -
A cheap HP ak0518sa
0 -
Are you sure you need a laptop? I am asking, as I used to think that it was mainly used for internet surfing, banking, and reading the news - got myself a Chromebook—super fast to start up and fast enough at the fraction of the price
and very lightweight but good quality—depending on the brand you buy—can upload certain apps as well
1 -
What didn't you like about a Surface the first time around?
I picked up a Surface Pro 7+ with i5 11th gen for for £250. Replete with keyboard and charger. 400 to 425 nits.
The laptop in your OP will likely have a screen brightness of 250 nits. The 'good news' about it, is that you don't need to buy a USB-C charger, because it doesn't support USB-C charging. You can use your old Stream charger.
0 -
A £200 Chromebook is going to be of a similar standard to the one in the OP.
On the other hand, my Surface Pro 7+ cost nearly £1500 new, has a much better processor, more RAM(8GB), more storage(256 GB), a brighter screen, has a slot for a Nano SIM and even accepts e-Sim.
One might ask why the OP is having to replace a cheap laptop after only three years, with another cheap laptop?
0 -
Maybe OP knows they're going to need a new one in 3 years, so rather than spend stronger money, just buy something cheap that they know will do the job?
0 -
Why would someone need a new one in three years? It's not as if the spec is much different from the old. A decent laptop will be useful far beyond three years. The one I using here is a refurb, from 2013.
Did someone suggest "stronger money"? I think the suggestion is to buy something of good quality, perhaps refurbished.
OP wants something with a bright screen. 250 nits is not it. It doesn't even have a Full HD screen, in 2026.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
