We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Freeview channel changes 16th September 2026
Comments
-
Isn't this just an academic enquiry/moan though? Can't imagine the OP will be spending money to upgrade the capabilities of a 20yo TV just to obtain a couple of fringe ITVn+1 channels?
3 -
20 years old !
Gosh I change mine about every five years.
The OP will be completely lost with the home screen of a large smart TV.
0 -
My lounge is too small for a large TV. I just position my chair closer to the screen. As for HD, my eyesight is so poor that I wouldn't notice any difference (despite wearing glasses).
I do have a Roku stick for streaming so I don't really need a 'Smart TV'. It's cheaper and easier to update the Roku than buy a new TV.
0 -
does the Roku have ITVX? If yes then just use that for what you are missing.
1 -
Yeah - it's just a moan about modern life and getting older. When you've retired it's one of the few pleasures you have left. Victor Meldrew was right.
2 -
I've been retired 23 years and love keeping up to date, now 88.
3 -
Acronyms: Look them up… It's not hard. AI will help you. BTW (By The Way) I'm a pensioner, too.
I was NOT suggesting you buy a new TV merely stating that any TV or PVR from more recent times will be able to decode the signals (to inform other readers of the thread). If you really really want the channels then its a new tv/plug in box or watch via streaming/catchp (it is the future way to watch TV).
It's not Freeview that have changed the encoding but the Broadcasters (ITV and Channel 4): Complain to them if you wish.
The Freeview retune message is generic… it can't tell what video decoders are built in to your TV / PVR (the Freeview spec is pretty 'loose' on many aspects)… sad but true. Also this use of the H.264 codec in a DVB-T multiplex of channels is pretty new in the UK but widely used elsewhere in Europe… Panasonic deliberately cripple their UK sets (also sad, but true) so never included/disabled in software the (now needed) codec in UK sets of that time.
Any TV, PVR or STB that meets the Freeview HD, You View (HD) or Freeview Play (HD) specs will work if you want to seek out second hand stuff from charity shops etc.,.
1 -
I wonder if a plug in streaming box could be plugged into OPs Tv which is a scart socket.
0 -
OP stated they have a Roku stick for streaming.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

