We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Freeview channel changes 16th September 2026

24

Comments

  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,693 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    That is a rather old Sony, these things don't stay relevant for ever.

    I'm a pensioner too.

    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,411 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 19 September at 9:16PM

    You seem to be suggesting I discard my perfectly good TV and DVD/HD recorder to landfill just because Freeview decided to move some channels around?

    To be fair, not just @Rodders53 's suggestion, that's pretty much what the Freeview guy said when you rang them.

    The missing channels (ITV2+1 & ITV4+1) are pretty niche, is it really that big a deal?

    EDIT: I too am a pensioner. Why is this relevant?

  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 9,911 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Unfortunately if TV technology kept pandering (for want of a better phrase) to those who refuse to upgrade legacy set we'd still be on black and white 405 line TV sets with three channels.

    It is more complicated than Freeview just moving some channels around and unfortunately there comes a point where legacy hardware can't cope with the most recent changes. When ITV Digital collapsed the boxes continued to work but once Freeview changed the way it all worked a decade or so later those boxes became obsolete as well.

  • dosh37
    dosh37 Posts: 616 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I guess not.

    I expect broadcast TV will be soon be ditched completely and replaced by streamed services over broadband such as Freely. It's probably not worth updating my TV until then. Since I retired I have discovered just how mind numbingly bad daytime TV is. Repetitive ads, endless repeats of Big Bang etc.

  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    @Neil_Jones

    When 405 line transmission was turned off the die hards who refused to buy a 625 line TV were given a new TV, this was a State Secret for 50 or 60 years.

  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    @dosh37

    I use Freely whilst It seems internet TV will be the future Freely is far from working correctly and I think another system for internet TV will be needed.

    I was told recently that internet is not seen as the future in the USA and they are looking at a new system of terrestrial transmission.

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,333 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 September at 11:01PM

    I had to retune twice to pick up your missing channels. I found I'd not been paying attention and need to select specific areas.

    I also have a choice of transmitter. It's Wales or Mendip. Is that an option on yours? You could try a different transmitter? This works for me.

    I lived without a TV for a few years. It was only the Life on Earth series, ground breaking at the time, that made me rent one. Those were the days 😊 and I was hooked in again.

    I watch more catch-up on my laptop now than live TV.

    HD too and fewer adverts.

    It's one of the first digital TVs but can still plug in gadgets and USB. Must read the destructions and see if I can transmit from the laptop. Think I can, just don't bother. It's the newer fancy models that seem to be more limited.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • kit344
    kit344 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post

    If the TV is still "perfect", then you should be able to continue using it.

    However if you are still unable to get it to ReTune properly, then it probably isn't Perfect.

    The true situation is probably somewhere in between, Your TV is still Adequate for getting a limited number of channels, and it's actually fairly likely that a "FULL RETUNE" or Setup as New, or something similar, will get the missing channels back.

    If you are still unable to do this, it might be possible to get a neighbour, friend, grandchild, nephew, etc. to assist you. Hopefully this could be a good solution.

    If all else fails, maybe you could still use this old TV as a 2nd set in the bedroom or kitchen, and look for a newer flat screen model, which would probably have lower power consumption than an old CRT screen TV.

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I don't know if this is still relevant but when the Freeview change over happened a few years back I was informed that when you did a full scan just after the scan starts pull out the aerial lead from the device that you are scanning and let the scan complete and then do another full scan but this time put the aerial lead back in.

    I think this was to wipe all stored info so a new scan should solve a lot of issues.

    Like I say it sure if this is still a thing to do now.

  • dosh37
    dosh37 Posts: 616 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 20 September at 12:23PM

    An update on the original issue thanks to ChatGPT.

    Interestingly ChatGPT is using information obtained from this thread in the forum from yesterday.

    I'm not a fan of AI but I have to say I am impressed.

    ====

    There has been a Freeview change on 16 September 2026 affecting these services. ITV2+1 and ITV4+1 have moved onto the D3&4/PSB2 multiplex and are now transmitted as H.264 (MPEG-4) video rather than the older MPEG-2 format. MMoneySavingExpert Forum+1

    Your Sony KDL-V26A12U is an early-generation Freeview television. The symptom you're seeing is exactly what you'd expect from an MPEG-2-only tuner:

    • ITV2: works — still MPEG-2
    • ITV4: works — still MPEG-2
    • ITV2+1: channel information appears, but no video
    • ITV4+1: channel information appears, but no video
    • EPG says "Please re-tune"
    • Re-tuning doesn't help

    Sony itself explains that when services change from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4, older compatible-incomplete models can show no picture even though the service is detected. SSony

    So you aren't doing anything wrong, and your aerial is almost certainly not the issue.

    Why does it say "Please re-tune" if retuning can't fix it?

    That's the slightly misleading part. The TV is receiving the broadcast's service information, so it knows that ITV2+1 and ITV4+1 exist. It can therefore put them in the EPG. But its video decoder can't decode the H.264/MPEG-4 video.

    Consequently, another retune cannot solve the underlying limitation.

    There are already reports from other owners of older Sony Bravias showing exactly the same combination of symptoms after the 16 September change. MMoneySavingExpert Forum

    What you need to do

    You don't need to replace the Bravia.

    A small modern Freeview set-top box with a SCART output should solve the problem. The box receives and decodes the modern Freeview signal, then sends the resulting picture to your Sony through SCART.

    Your KDL-V26A12U actually has the appropriate connections for this kind of setup.

    ====

    The thought of needing yet another remote control for a Freeview set top box is enough to put me off.

    The term 'set top' box is a bit of a misnomer for slim flat screen TVs. It would need to be nailed to the wall - especially if it has a massive SCART cable hanging off it :-)

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.