We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Probate, executors who lack capacity and property sale

13

Comments

  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,879 Ambassador
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thank you both for the ongoing clarifications. At this stage I'm primarily trying to understand my options so I can have a semi-informed conversation with my conveyancing solicitor how best to proceed without being at risk of unduly delaying the sale process and at risk of losing our buyers. Your inputs and advice have been invaluable.

    @poseidon1 wrote:

    Once sold the solicitor holds the proceeds in two parts, one part which can be transferred to your mother's personal account which you control as P oA on her behalf ( her personal TIC share), but the other part for the trust held in abeyance by the solicitor until you have proved the will ( via probate) to legally establish your status as trustee of the Will trust. I cannot see how you can legally take control of the will trust proceeds without the grant, but at least the sale has not been delayed in the meantime.

    Yes, I fully understand that and we will have to deal with that at the time, but first on my list of priorities is to try to ensure we are not unduly delaying the sale process. If there is no sale, the above is yet to an issue. Access to the 50% share of the funds going into trust is not of immediate concern. Mum will not immediately need an income from the trust as she will have her share of the capital from the property sale to fund her care costs, so any delay in releasing trust funds from the solicitor will not unduly affect mum. Mum may likely never need the trust income as her capital share alone should be sufficient to fund her care costs.

    @poseidon1 wrote:

    In passing since it is not good practice for you to move forward as sole ( competent) trustee of the Will trust, you should deliberate on whether the 2nd trustee appointed for the property sale, should ultimately be considered suitable as your permanent co trustee of the continuing Will Trust.

    Once we are in a position to exchange contracts and the sale is going ahead, I'm sure I will be coming back for more advice/questions regarding the will trust. I had not considered whether we would need to appoint a second trustee so thank you for raising that, and I will certainly give some thought as to whom may be a suitable co-trustee. Much of this is a case of not knowing what I don't know, so reading and learning as much as possible to try to be as informed as possible so that I can ask the right questions.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,639 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 22 September at 2:03PM

    Have to confess you have had quite a complex situation to deal with, once your father died whilst the house sale was underway and your mother's incapacity preventing her from occupying the 2nd trustee role for conveyancing purposes . However I believe LR has pointed the way ahead to continue the sale ( unhindered), by a process which bypasses the trust resulting from your father's death, at least for the time being.

    I appreciate not losing your buyer and getting the house sale completed must be your highest priority above all else right now. Hopefully with the LR guidance you have what you need to move things along with the solicitor,

  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,879 Ambassador
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thank you.

    I will keep the thread updated with progress such that it may be of benefit to other readers who may find themselves in a similar position.

    If probate is granted before the chain is in a position to exchange contracts it may be irrelevant but it will at least be reassuring to know we have another route available to us if it should be required to avoid unduly delaying exchange or jeopardise the sale.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 6,368 Organisation Representative
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 23 September at 7:44AM

    Just to reiterate, as I assume you mean probate is an alternative route, that your Dad's probate is not required to deal with the property sale. Ok, his appointed executor/personal rep could for example be appointed as a trustee in the Transfer but he/she doesn't need probate to be included. In essence anyone can take on the role as the appointed trustee

    I'm sure your conveyancer will be able to explain the nuances of legal and beneficial ownerships, how the form A restriction/TIC impacts and works, and how your power of attorney enables you to operate on behalf of your Mum also

    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 37,010 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    There are a good many cases where probate is not needed to effect the transfer of property, but is required to deal with other assets, for example, large bank and savings accounts, stocks and shares.

    Also some insurance policies demand it and there's a lot of people who only need it for fairly small NS&I accounts. Technically NS&I require it for holdings exceeding £5k, with rarely used discretion to release larger holdings.

    If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,879 Ambassador
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I have a question about the will. The will is the only document that details the terms of the trust.

    What happens when you apply for probate - you send the original will off and it is not returned. So I'm now effectively without an original document detailing the terms of the trust.

    Should I request a solicitor to certify copies of the will before sending it off when applying for probate or can I just take my own copies as executor and a trustee?

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 37,010 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Two things:

    Make your own copies before posting off. Normally, I'd say that's enough just for the trust but given you'll be relying on them for other legal purposes, a certified copy would be useful. You just don't know what the purchaser's solicitor will demand.

    Remember that the original is scanned and stored permanently on the Probate Registry web-site. So a few months after probate, anyone can obtain a copy for a small fee.

    If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 13,175 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    If you do take your own copies. DO NOT remove any stapes or other bindings etc.

  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 37,010 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Absolutely, the removal or replacement of any bindings will result in an investigation and delay probate substantially.

    So don't use a paperclip to fasten a note to the will, for example.

    If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,879 Ambassador
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 September at 9:24AM

    Thanks, I got that. I know not to touch the binding of the will re probate, but good that you raised it for other readers who may not be aware how critical this is.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.