We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
BYD Dolphins
I have been looking at BYD Dolphins and was dismayed to learn that only plug in hybrids are available and also that BYD do not even mention that there is still an engine under the bonnet - what size engine do they come with ?
It seems weird to me that everything in their website is about EV's - no mention of anything else !
Mind you - not really anything much about the cars themselves ie accessories, wheel sizes … nothing about the interiors either.
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
Comments
-
Think you are missing the point about these Chinese cars (BYD, Omoda, MG etc,etc).
They are cheap.
All you need to know.
1 -
Did you miss BYD Dolphin Surf all electric
1 -
BYD claims to sell two types of Dolphin, a fully electric and a hybrid.
1 -
Only the Dolphin G DM-I is a hybrid (with a 1.5 l engine. the Dolphin and Dolphin Surf are full EVs.
0 -
Everything you might need to know is on their website - full EV Dolphin: https://www.byd.com/uk/electric-cars/dolphin
1 -
Good luck if anything goes wrong.
With some issues even their dealers can't fix them and usually have wait for parts to arrive from PRC, if available. They only appear to have sufficient parts to assemble the things.
1 -
I have been looking at BYD Dolphins …
Where exactly have you been looking?
… and was dismayed to learn that only plug in hybrids are available
AutoTrader have 140 all-electric ones available today, for example.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
I guess they are advertising the ones that are hard to sell.
0 -
Are they assembled in the UK? I don't think so.
0 -
He means the manufacturer only has enough parts to assemble, not the importer.
And that's a common factor to many Chinese budget brands - no matter the product. Pile high, sell cheap, sod the aftersales service. Not just parts supply, but diagnostics.
These things will have a very short life, and will be thrown away young as unrepairable. Initial price is low, but depreciation will be savage.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



