We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Why are petrol prices so high?
Comments
-
Ah, sorry, I thought you meant people who were paying it off their own pockets.
Still if the fuel card restricted you to Esso, that's still a choice, albeit one made by the company rather than by you. Presumably it made sense for the company... as fuel cards often come with a discount they may not have actually been paying the price displayed over the forecourt.
0 -
Well, "in the local area" is a moveable feast of course. But when there's a 10p difference between petrol stations within a mile of each other the answer is always going to be "yes". At least so far as fuel/tyre wear goes. How you value your time is up to you of course, but "one of my choices is slightly less convenient than the other" is not the same as "I have no choice".
0 -
Yup, cost to the company was significantly less than the pump price. Over the years I had cards from Shell, Esso, BP, Allstar etc - presumably they used whoever gave the best deal.
I was really just making the point that Joe Public, seeing vehicles pulling into forecourt A and thinking "that's crazy when forecourt B next door is cheaper" isn't necessarily seeing the full picture.
For my part, I often choose not to use the cheapest fuel in my old diesel, as it does a DPF regen far less frequently with Esso fuel than if I use the Tesco next door - but that's a whole different discussion...
1 -
In a word…..Trump
when he says "Peace" Brent price drops, commodity dealers buy (they never see the oil)
Trump attacks Iran, Brent goes up, dealers sell, make billions
repeat…..
0 -
Baed on the average increase pre 2011, should be a extra 75p per Ltr.
Life in the slow lane0 -
If you think it's expensive now just wait a little while, news headlines said prices are increasing again because
some butterfly sneezed or something equally silly. They don't need reasons to increase the price it's just greed. :)Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...1 -
I used to have company fuel cards, I had a total ( remember them.) at first, then we switched to shell cards, great for collecting points which converted to money off fuel ect, then that was stopped and we had all star cards which you could use just about anywhere, so I used to fill up at Tesco stations if I could and collect the club card points..
0 -
Household energy costs, including the electricity we put in our EVs are set to rise 25% in January, partly due to the insane way that prices are fixed by the most expensive generation method in use. (Somehow this is supposed to encourage investment in cheap generation, when even an idiot like me can see that it does the opposite- why waste money on decreasing the chance of selling your "free" energy at the fossil fuel rate?)
I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....
(except air quality and Medical Science
)2 -
In a word, yes.
But it's not what he says, it's what he's doing.
Iran has the worlds third largest proven crude oil reserve and it's about who controls it's flow.
The worlds largest proven oil reserve had a similarly unfriendly government controlling it until recently. Now Trump has managed to "negotiate" around a third of that reverse by helping change that particular government to his liking.
It's Iran's turn now but they play hardball to the surprise of no one except Trumps government. Knocking over this government to a more friendly, accepting one has proven harder than first thought.
Any "peace deal" put in front of Iran will in effect be be an oil deal but they aren't going for it.
Both sides are choking the straights on Hormuz in a game of financial chicken. Who will crumble first, an elected government that has a limited time anyway or an unelected totalitarian group of despots with all the time in the world? Place your bets!
1 -
It will be coming, and I did not claim they have done it this current term , only their last time in power. You seem to be angry about something I didn't say, so pot, kettle and all that.
They are very aware that increasing fuel duty will be very unpopular, and yes, more EV, more hybrids and more economical cars will reduce the government's take, and lessen the impact of any increase.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards