We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Good portable speaker and earphone
Looking for a good portable speaker. I spotted these in Currys. Seem a bit expensive though?
Also, ear piece which I can touch which will allow me to answer phone while driving, hooks over ear
Also
Comments
-
Where are you planning to use the speaker?
Are you looking for a bluetooth earpiece?
Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid0 -
The JBL speakers are good, but I wouldn't pay those Currys prices without shopping around first. The Flip 7 in your photo is £129 and the Charge 6 £169, and both can currently be found cheaper elsewhere, eg JBL itself currently has the Flip 7 from about £100 and the Charge 6 from about £130.
Unless you need a particularly powerful speaker, I'd probably look at the Flip 7 or even the previous Flip 6 rather than the larger Charge. They're much easier to carry around and still have plenty of volume for most uses. There are also lots of other speakers of differing size, price and quality, so what exactly do you need it for, and how large did you want to consider?
For the phone, search for "single ear Bluetooth headset with ear hook". That's the type with a button on the earpiece that can answer/end calls without picking up the phone. You certainly don't need to spend a lot of money on one of those, there are plenty around the £20 to £30 mark.
A bluetooth headset is classed as hands-free, so you can use one while driving without holding the phone. You do still need to remain in proper control of the car though, and of course don't touch the phone itself while driving.
I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1 -
I wouldn't pay those Currys prices without shopping around first.
If I was feeling cynical, I'd suggest it's the time of year where electrical retailers (amongst others) bump up their prices so they can claim to have reduced them when the "sales" come around in a couple of months.
Also, ear piece which I can touch which will allow me to answer phone while driving, hooks over ear
Considering this in conjunction with your other post looking for a navigation device, if you choose an Android Auto / Apple Carplay screen then it'll do handsfree phone services for you without needing an earpiece.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.2 -
I bought a JBL Charge 6 (in early July 2026). Its an excellent speaker, IMHO. Two points though :-
Be sure to examine it in person before buying, it's quite a lot heavier than I imagined it would be.
Don't pay Currys normal prices. I carefully monitored Amazon for a few months before purchase. The price bounced around considerably, I was patient and waited for it to momentarily dip to double figures (its currently £159 on Amazon UK). If you're not fussy re colour then you may get luckier sooner (the rather funky purple one often seems to be discounted). I wanted Black so had to wait longer.
1 -
Anker Soundcore 2 a fraction of those prices and gets good reviews. Been happy with mine and ordered a few of them
now for other family members. Depends what your after battery life is really good, not sure I would notice the difference
with something costing double the price? Try one and see if you like it or want to spend more?Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...1 -
What is your budget of speakers?
earbuds, I would say you go for ear clip style. Probably Anker C50i or areoclip, depends on budget.
1 -
In van or with friends. Earpiece, wrap around ear one so don't lose it and can speak while driving legally or working
0 -
-
is this a clip wrap around ear one suitable for talking on phone while driving or doing stuff?
0 -
UE's worth a look ( reduced with Amazon right now) below -
It's tough, waterproof and with surprising bass for size.
I have its slightly bigger sibling ( Megablast) which is WiFi enabled, so does not need connection to phone. Been very happy with this since 2020.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards






