We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Barebones of my budget
Its not looking good guys and gals…………….
Income £1820 per month after tax, no overtime, overtime optional, prefer not to do it. I pay the minimum into the work pension to match the employer.
Outgoing: Rent £1360
Council tax £108
Electric £60
Water £54
OK lets stop here for a second, that leaves £238
I run a car and a full tank at £80 will at best last 2 weeks so fuel is £160.
I spend about £15 per day on all my food and groceries £450 a month WOW
I'm now in the RED -£372
Thats before anything else like saving for holidays, birthday/xmas presents, anything else I've missed!
Not looking good is it. I live in West Berkshire and work at royal mail.
I have £50k in a pension, and £165k in savings.
Please anyone help with what to do before I eat into my savings!!!
Comments
-
I spend about £15 per day on all my food and groceries £450 a month WOW
Indeed WOW
I don't budget, but out of curiocity checked recently and it was about £250 for two of us. Admitedly, we buy cheap fruit&veg on the local market at the end of the day and I like buying reduced food in Tesco and Aldi. And for Tesco I buy giftcards with 4% cashback.
0 -
Best bet will be to head over to this board and post there, with a fuller version of your incomings and outgoings via the preferred template:
and you'll get suggestions about areas to focus on, even though you're not actually in debt as such…
2 -
Your rent is almost 75% of your income. That's not sustainable. Can you take in a lodger?
#2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £3661 -
Please anyone help with what to do before I eat into my savings!!!
Move in with someone else?
0 -
Move in with someone else?
Until last year, OP was living with their parents. Then after a brief period as a homeowner they're now renting "a high end flat".
OP any progress towards moving in with your girlfriend? If that's not currently on the cards, is moving back in with your parents an option? Or getting a flatmate?
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.1 -
Yes, renting a sole occupancy 'high end flat' and running a car, while earning what appears to be close to minimum wage, does seem a recipe for depleting savings at a rate of knots!
1 -
Yeah....family of 3 with a hungry 13 year old and we are nowhere near £450 a month!
0 -
Can you reduce your rent? Lots of flats in Reading/Newbury area are under £1000 pcm.
0 -
How on earth are you spending £450 per month on groceries? 😮 Is that just for yourself? Batch cooking is a great way to be economical and create tasty nutritious food. If it's junk food you're buying such as ready meals, your body and wallet will thank you for ditching them.
Other than that, maybe downsize to a smaller flat or a cheaper area, see if you can find someone else to house share, maybe change to a more fuel efficient car?
What do you plan on doing with the savings? Could you buy a small apartment somewhere with them so that you're no longer renting?
2 -
I live alone. My average food spend is £277 a month.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards




