We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Is it worth me switching to an EV?
Comments
-
Insurance can vary hugely depending on the make and model and its hard to do a direct comparison, but that doesn't seem miles off to me. My ID7 would cost me about £90 more than the equivalent ICE VW if I was buying insurance for it.
(To be clear, it is insured, but its all under one package price so no idea how it breaks down)
0 -
I was with the op until the sad a few grand. I wonder spending would make more sense push the budget below £10k is very limiting and unlike to prove a good long term solution. I think a 2-3 year old EV might prove a better investment. You the charge 1 once a week with something like a Kia e-Niro. 15k would be a better budget
0 -
I'd avoid the e-corsa for a second hand car that is out of warranty.
The Spring can rapid charge (if you are made of money!) at 40kW (near enough 2C) but it isn't designed for thrashing until it is empty then quickly recharging.
I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....
(except air quality and Medical Science
)0 -
A warranty would be nice but I think anything sufficiently new at this price, to have a decent amount of warranty remaining, will be either the Dacia Spring or the GWM Funky Cat.
0 -
Gwm pulled Funky Cat out of UK market April this year, so one to avoid.
Life in the slow lane0 -
If a range of no more than 130 miles was needed and very rarely need to use rapid chargers, then at this sort of money I would be looking at a 2 year old 40 KW leaf.
It will still be under warranty and Nissan will extend that when you service that with them. These are very comfortable and roomy cars for the money..
I had the older 30 KW model which was not as good as the newer one but I loved that car. Well worth a test drive IMO.
0 -
EV insurance needn't be expensive. My Fiat 500e lowest quote was £311 this year (comprehensive £400 excess husband and wife living in Somerset) which I really think is quite acceptable these days.
0 -
Leaf = Chadamo & not CCS, so rapid charging is not so easy (not as many charge points). Unless you stump up for a CHAdeMO/CCS converter, which are not cheap.
Life in the slow lane0 -
Insurance
Need to be charging at home
0 -
Charging is likely to be cheaper than fuel for equivalent ICE vehicles for all but the extreme case of always charging on rapid chargers.
What is possibly more critical is how the charging fits into your lifestyle - whether you charge mostly at home or work, or some other destination(s) that can provide cheaper charging whilst you are busy doing something else.
There are a lot of EV features which vary from car to car, and between models of the same car. Some are EV specific like the options for regen braking, one-pedal driving, heat pump and charging options and speed. Some are standard car features that are useful on an EV like heated seats and steering wheel. There are also different options for parking aids and cruise control (ideally adaptive).
I'd also suggest taking a look at the car's phone app if possible - looking for features like remote starting of climate/heating and remote access to charge level.
There are now some reasonable second-hand (2-4 years) options. I wouldn't personally be put off by the Leaf's Chademo charging - there are still a decent number of those chargers around although new sites sometimes do not have them. But for the occasional road trip use, most motorway services charging hubs have some.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
