We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

5G Broadband thoughts?

124»

Comments

  • Gary1963
    Gary1963 Posts: 288 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I've had three after escaping Virgin. Find it suitable for my needs. Got it for £15 a month plus cashback.

  • Good advice @akwexavante. As a long-time 5G broadband user on the 3 network, I'd like to expand on a couple of your points.

    cellmapper (and coverage checkers): In all the years we've had 5G, the checkers all say we have no 5G. I found we had a great 5G signal, I get 400-600Mbps down and 50Mbps up on 5G.

    Scancom: Yes, but go through hotukdeals. We average 250GB/month so we're on a 500GB/month prepaid SIM that works out at £1.86/month. 1TB is currently £57.96 (£2.53/month). Warning - other networks have FUPs, their "unlimited" may only be 650GB.

    5G router: Not expensive really. We are 2km from the mast. I'd have line-of-site except there is a poplar tree in the way and have a secondhand NR5103e V1 5G router. Around £100 on ebay. If my speeds were weak, I think I would get an external router as decent antennas are expensive, sell the current router to recoup the cost.

    We started with a trial of 4G from Three. When our fixed BB contract ended we got a 24 month contract. When that ended I went "independent" after borrowing a 5G router and discovering the unannounced 5G.

  • akwexavante
    akwexavante Posts: 154 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    OMG! Your hotukdeals trick works a treat. I'll have to remember this website when buying things in future.

    I know what you mean about 5G coverage on the coverage checkers inc cellmapper but they are an excellent go to service to get a flavour of who's masts are where etc as a guide and i find cellmapper helps beginners to get a better understanding. The nearest mast may not be the best, and just because you can see a mast doesn't mean you can connect to it.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.