We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

BT Smarthub3 Router Privacy Issue

124»

Comments

  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 13,098 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Google especially, but even other sites will now use IP matching to workout approximate location (approximate means town or potentially street level), as ISPs have moved to full fibre most of those connections have a unique largely static IP (not fixed, but it does not generally change). This is nothing specific to a router, it is not a security breach or a conspiracy.

    This seems to be deciding something is a problem when it is not.

  • AstonSmith
    AstonSmith Posts: 211 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Let me see if I got this right:

    • A device (a smartphone?) using a private web session, i.e. no cookies etc, gives a random location when using mobile data, or another wireless network, but an accurate location with Google when connected to the Hub3.
    • This didn't happen before you switched to BT Broadband.

    I don't really understand what mechanism would be at play for the location information to be sent from the telephone exchange to the Hub3, for it then to be sent to Google without the smartphone's involvement. I would've thought it'd be a lot of effort on BT's part to create such a thing, when most people use phones with GPS receivers, etc. that already know where they are.

    Google's page that explains how they determine your location is here, if you haven't seen it already: https://policies.google.com/technologies/location-data?hl=en-GB&gl=GB&hl=en_GB

    I completely believe you that this is happening, but I just don't think the BT helpdesk you were speaking to are correct.

    I spent an hour on the phone with BT and they admitted that it was their devices in the exchange that were doing it, in fact we determined the postcode it was giving was the password for their exchange in my town.

    What password? Why would they tell you that security information? And what's giving a postcode? Very curious.

    I'm with the jist that something is telling Google to link your home BT connection's IP with your location. We know it's not your phone because of the tests with mobile data. Are there any other devices like tablets, spare phones, etc that are connected that might have location enabled? Any relatives who aren't so interested in locking down their location?

  • monious
    monious Posts: 22 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Nobody was talking about it not providing an IP address, just not a town or postcode.

    I was using Mobile Data, not used an ISP for some years.

    What you said above is not true based on what I have seen online and what AI says, I know to always check the AI sources and the quality of it's sources, which were mostly BT community.

    It says some, not all, BT connections use CGNAT, some have just a normal DHCP dish out IP's.

    Before signing up to BT I tried it using a family member's credentials using EEWIFI, this was mainly to test compatibility with some devices and applications I planned to use. I figured this would be as close to the actual service I was going to get and it was adequate for my purposes, albeit not that fast, but I have copper for the last X metres.

    Using that service, I could get a new IP by turning off my router for 15m to 20m, the new IP was not be in the same town or anywhere near, I tested it for over a month and I could give you probably 20 to 50 IP's from Belfast to Scotland to Wales to Skegness to Kent to Cornwall to London. All in the 109.144.x.x subnet

    Having bought the service it is different and BT is giving my location, the IP subnet is different too, being an 86.x.x.x subnet.

    Matter is with BT now.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.