We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
BT Smarthub3 Router Privacy Issue
I recently took out a contract with BT Broadband and immediately noticed a change in Google knowing my location.
I have all these things locked down on my devices, I don't have use locations services on any device.
I did a number of tests which proved it was the BT Smarthub3, I was able to switch between wifi services on same device and see Google change location.
I spent an hour on the phone with BT and they admitted that it was their devices in the exchange that were doing it, in fact we determined the postcode it was giving was the password for their exchange in my town.
After some time they told me using a 3rd party router was the only way they knew that would stop it. I used AI to identify a reasonable alternative router and it came up with a cost of around £260 if I wanted all of the features and around £180 if I was prepared to sacrifice some features. I gather it needs to be VDSL type router.
I am not happy with BT sharing location without my consent and without any option in the BT portal, so I have take that to the ICO who told me how to word a letter to BT and they want me to raise the case as they think with BT being so big this is a concern for them.
The reason for my post here is to ask if there is a short term fix anyone here can recommend?
For example if I put an old 3rd party router connected to the cable port would that stop it sharing my location?
I already tried disabling IP6 but that has not helped.
It would also be good to have any BT customers here participate in a test I can PM you the details.
I have a very legitimate reason for not wanting to share my location and do not use social media or anything that provides my location, I am not even on voters roll. I already had to move because of my location being found out so I take this very seriously.
I am prepared to buy the AI recommended router and will hold BT responsible once I have their ICO response which will take a month or two.
I am absolutely sure it is the BT device and BT have confirmed that, so I would appreciate serious efforts to help me overcome the issue. Including suggestions for known 3rd party routers that have all the features of BT Smarthub3 but do not share my location.
Also, If there is a config suggestion in the router or BT account I am prepared to have a go.
Thanks for your help.
Comments
-
So what you are talking about is IP Mapping, the only the way a router would impact this at all is if the router has a VPN facility built into it which would mean rather than seeing the IP assigned by BT you would have the IP as assigned by the VPN provider. Depending on the VPN you may have control of where in the world the IP resolves to.
0 -
Would using a VPN help?
0 -
According to my location in Google I am posting this from Montreal. A VPN though does bring its own problems as far as some services are concerned.
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
0 -
I did a trial on a VPN, it is far slower and many websites are detecting it and not working, some refuse me completely.
I got this service because I wanted to experience the best broadband speed I could afford and a decent wifi, the BT router allegedly has some tech ability to cope with many devices, I do not have the tech words for these but AI gave the text below.
I am not interested in a VPN but rather a solution to fix the router.Thanks for your understanding.
The BT Smart Hub 3 is a next-generation Wi-Fi 6 router designed to provide faster wireless speeds, stronger performance under heavy household use, and enhanced built-in security features compared to older models like the Smart Hub 2.
Performance & Technology
Wi-Fi 6 Support: Upgrades older dual-band Wi-Fi 5 architecture to dual-band Wi-Fi 6, improving efficiency and speed when multiple devices connect simultaneously. Seven Internal Antennas: Designed for optimized signal distribution and stability throughout the property. Better Handling of Busy Networks: Maintains smoother connections for video calls, 4K streaming, and online gaming across many household devices.
Security & Controls
Hub Threat Protect: Built-in network defense that automatically blocks suspicious activity and harmful content.Account-Level Wi-Fi Controls: Allows users to pause internet access on specific devices and manage screen time directly from a dashboard.
Connectivity Options
Hybrid Connect Compatible: Supports an automatic backup connection via the EE mobile network if your fixed broadband line drops.Complete Wi-Fi Ready: Integrates smoothly with BT's Wi-Fi extenders to build a single, seamless whole-home network.0 -
I'd expect that deep in the contract conditions of any ISP they'll be a clause about sharing of necessary information with other agencies, there isn't likely to be any getting away from it and location is probably going to be in there.
Don't rely on AI, it's not infallible.1 -
You are “absolutely sure” of something your tests have not demonstrated.
Google sees the public IP address of whichever internet connection you use and estimates its location. Switching Wi-Fi therefore changes the displayed location. The exchange postcode is almost certainly the location associated with BT’s IP range, not your router secretly transmitting your home address.
Putting another router behind the Smart Hub will change nothing because websites will still see the same BT public IP. Disabling IPv6 merely leaves Google to geolocate the IPv4 address. If you want websites to see a different IP location, use a reputable VPN.
A confused conversation with a call-centre adviser is not technical confirmation, and spending £260 on an AI-recommended router would be an expensive way of discovering that your router was never the issue.
If your personal-security concern is genuinely serious, stop drawing conclusions from Google’s location footer and obtain advice from someone competent in network security.
7 -
Its not the router, the websites see the public address you are visiting from which for BT will be the IP they have allocated you to for this session. When your router boots it asks BT's BRAS or BNG for an IP which it will then be assigned from the subnet block assigned to your exchange. Using a different router with the same ISP is going to have the same method of connectivity and without VPN your IP will always be from the same subnet block of IPs as thats what your exchange uses.
Some ISPs use different mechanisms or blocks of IPs cover a wider geographical spread so they will still guess at where you are located but it may be less accurate. Use of CGNA, where hundreds of users share the same IP means geolocation is much less accurate, which you may think is good, but can also cause problems because if one user gets banned from a website based on IP the other 999 users also get banned because they are on the same IP, you can also have issues with gaming and other such things.
Our ISP uses CGNA so we appear as though we are in West London on most websites when using a windows machine despite being in south east london but our Apple devices have a soft VPN built in so where we appear is more random when using Safari but appears as west london if using Chrome
0 -
Agree with most of the above. IP address location resolution has been a thing for decades and represents your provider's location, which might show up as actually somewhere near you, but it might not. For example, sometimes IP location puts me in Southampton (80miles away). Right now it's putting me in Harrow (a few miles away).
Have you tried https://www.whatismyip.com/ on your mobile phone (via data not wifi)? hope you're not too surprised by IP location mapping working through your mobile provider too
There is no solution really. If not a VPN then Maybe using an ISP like Starlink (then your IP location might be the US - not sure if 'low earth orbit' would show)2 -
I'm obviously misunderstanding but via my PC on Sky broadband & mobile on Sky wifi my location is London (Sky servers). Turning wifi off on my phone shows me in the midlands (Vodafones servers given I'm on Lebara).
How is anyone getting my precise location from that given I live in Scotland?
0 -
Plusnet here which is part of BT and my IP sometimes puts me 40 miles away and other times 200+
miles away. It's not that accurate unless the google vehicle has been around lately scanning the WIFI.
I setup a new Samsung phone and it somehow knew my real name which is strange because the only thing
that uses my real name on the phone is my banking apps. Even my email accounts use random names
or words not my real name.
Probably impossible to trace where it actually got my name from?Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

