We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

BT Smarthub3 Router Privacy Issue

13

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,411 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    What you don't say is whether on a virgin session with all cookies nuked what IP location does Google say you are in if you do a "local search" as described in posts above.

    Not going to happen, too much stuff running on my devices that is only too happy to tell all and sundry where I am located.

    Helps the Uber drivers come to the right house and the TV to stream the local BBC news.

  • monious
    monious Posts: 22 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Exactly, so none of that provides the IP address unless the that person successfully logs in, MAC addresses are hardware addresses that can be changed. For my IP address to have the accurate location it would need to marry data that is not connected in your scenario.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,805 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    You can certainly call me out on being confused or mistaken or if I am not clear.

    IF the problem is "kit at their exchange" THEN changing your router will have no effect.

    What's probably happening, as has been explained several times in this thread, is that the BT IP address assigned to your connection is one with a geolocation close to you, rather than with your previous ISP where it was a shared IP address in a datacentre miles and miles away.

    For example, here's what https://iplocation.io/ says about my current IP address:

    Screenshot 2026-08-16 at 12-34-31 IP Address Lookup - Check Location of Your Public IP.png

    What does that site have to say about yours?

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • booneruk
    booneruk Posts: 964 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    there is no field that stores the location or config option for location or location hardware such as you might have in a phone

    There's also no field storing the location in a phone. How would that even work? What if I sold my phone to a punter on ebay, is it still wired into my 'location'?

    If you think an ISP pushes your location to your mobile phone and then the mobile phone pushes that location to websites that's a misunderstanding. The only thing going on here is IP location lookups, the exact same thing I said has been in place for decades in a previous post

     It is being given an IP address from a pool, something in the configuration of kit in the Exchange has provided the Exchange address.

    Which is what any device connecting to the internet does. Your router, your phone. The way it's been for years

    So it IS my router, it really is and BT have confirmed that, so it seems that in reality the only confusion is you.


    I'm not confused. Have you never had a support technician give you false information before, either through incompetence or just to 'shut you up and get you off the call'?

    Why people like you who have nothing helpful to add chime in I do not know

    I'm trying to be helpful.. IP Location is a thing, changing ISP or router won't change that. You'll still have an IP address assigned from the ISPs IP blocks and that IP will still resolve to a location. It might be fairly accurate to your current location, it may not be.

    maybe you are collecting likes

    Could you like this post please? pretty please?

  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic

    Why don't you find someone would will swap their router with you? That would confuse everyone as then you would have each others address.

    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • monious
    monious Posts: 22 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    I am only quoting the advice BT gave me after this matter was escalated and they brought several BT technical managers into the call.

    Usually your description is exactly what would happen and I would agree with you, that such sites would quote a location, different sites offering such services sometimes provide different information, but none of them quote my town or postcode.

    Google on the other hand is obtaining the information, it does not matter if I turn off the router and make the IP address change and start over on a virgin session on a virgin device.

    BT said that the router has some data it gets from the exchange that is passed on but there is no user serviceable access to either change that or stop the behaviour. They said I had to use to 3rd party router to stop it.

    I do not see why I should have a substandard router because BT is sharing my location. So my plan is to

    Start complaint with ICO after BT Complies with my Subject Access Request.

    Start a complaint with BT confirming what they said in the call and giving them 30 days solve the problem at their end or else I will buy an equivalent 3rd party router based on their advice and I will be seeking reimbursement for the cost of that router.

    I am not going to publish the results of a website that shares my location as I value my privacy.

  • monious
    monious Posts: 22 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    That is an interesting idea, albeit that I imagine we would have to get down n dirty with the config, if it even worked

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,805 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 August at 3:57PM

    Google on the other hand is obtaining the information, it does not matter if I turn off the router and make the IP address change and start over on a virgin session on a virgin device.

    Do you have Virgin broadband as well as BT? Or are you using mobile broadband for this? I'm not seeing how you can "start over on a virgin session on a virgin device" without using a BT exit point otherwise.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,232 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I do not use my real name on anything online except my banking apps, even my ebay and paypal accounts use 2 different versions of my name.
    eg. Pete on one and Peter on the other (that is not my name also). All the tracking and a lot of Google services that I will never use
    or do not want to share my data is removed or diabled.

    Really puzzled me how it got my name. The only thing I can think is that I may have paid for an app once whilst on holiday and
    it may have grabbed it from that transaction?

    Next time I need another email address not linked to any current phone or internet. Until then I do not think there is anything
    I can do?

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,221 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    All routers ask the ISP systems for an IP address, a router cannot work without one.

    Who were you with before BT? My guess is your previous ISP, like mine, gave the same IP to multiple users and therefore the DBs that contain the geocoding for each IP covers a broader area. BT gives each connection a unique IP and each IP is locked to an single exchange and so whilst resetting the connection will give you another IP as they are dynamically assigned, they cover a fairly small geographical area meaning IP geolocation is more accurate

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.