We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Problems with new (ex-demo) MG4

124

Comments

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 15 August at 8:16PM

    As it loses gas, the compressor has to run for longer to cool it down, and it just doesn't have the cooling capacity that it is supposed to.

    Eventually when the gas is virtually gone there is a pressure switch that will stop the compressor running.

    !0 years ago R134a was still allowed in legacy vehicles, if your system is filled with that then there is every chance that it still works, but after 10 years I would be very surprised if a regas doesn't produce a marked improvement in cooling performance.

    A regas with R134a is "only" £££££, compared to the ££££££££££££ of R1234yf too.

    My air con has been so so from day one

    If you have "climate control" then it appears that the air-con (& heater) don’t work very well, because the temperatures are blended to the setpoint on the dial, rather than running at full chat on minimum (& maximum) temperature. With Poverty Spec. "AC" you can get air temperature down to low single digits, especially on recirculate, you won't get near that with "Climate control".

    When you climb into the car gasping for breath from this heat, you want to feel cold, you don't get that feeling unless there is an icy blast freezing the sweat on your legs, you just have to get used to feeling uncomfortable for a while until you are used to the milder temperature.

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • oldagetraveller1
    oldagetraveller1 Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 August at 11:08AM

    "Poverty Spec. "AC" you can get air temperature down to low single
    digits, especially on recirculate, you won't get near that with "Climate
    control".

    I beg to differ. I had my 12 years old Toyota Yaris's a/c regassed a couple of months ago. The printout from the machine showed recovered 216g of R134a and filled to the correct 306g. Plus the correct amount of oil. It had lost that mass of gas over a 5 years period, set on auto and 20deg, year round

    It has dual climate control. On one of the recent hotter days with the car's interior scorchio the temperature out of one of the facia vents, on recirc. (automatically selected) dropped to 4.2 deg Centipede. Once the interior had cooled down it fluctuated between 8 deg and 11 deg out of the vent.

  • Bandy2023
    Bandy2023 Posts: 125 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    The last part of your comment I agree with, it's astounding people still switch AC off.

    Renault have the best idea, their default setting for AC is on and you have to press a button to switch it off.

  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Having just bought a <70bhp car with manual heater controls and an aircon button…

    You KNOW when the aircon is on. At idle, turn it on and you can HEAR the load and see the idle dip. Driving, it's like the road is now a slight incline.

    You'd also need to be turning the heat up manually quite considerably to maintain the same interior temp. And, unlike climate, the aircon is not then engaged when required to maintain temp or humidity… It's on all the time the button is pressed and lit.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,146 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Most new cars A/C is electric & not belt driven like older cars. (even 2012 Picanto was electric.

    Life in the slow lane
  • "4.2 degrees Centipede ??" Yes, it's the new Centigrade/Celcius.

    Fahrenheit has also been officially renamed Fartingheight.

    I think you know I was being flippant.

  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 23,478 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Worth checking the A/C settings and make sure the follow Eco mode is off. It does seem to effect the amount of heating you get in winter and cooling in very hot conditions.

  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 3 September at 7:07AM

    You can usually turn climate control from auto to manual.

    In auto it will work to achieve the set temperature and maintain it at that level.

    In manual it will work as a bog standard AC system and keep blowing out at the temp and fan speed you set no matter what the ambient temp is inside the car.

    My car has auto climate control which can be switched on and off by it's own "Auto" button, but it also has an independent A/C button. If I turn it to Auto and set it, the AC compressor kicks in (and the AC button light comes on by it's self) no matter if it's set high or low. If I switch the AC button off in Auto it will turn the Auto off completely.

    If I turn Auto off, I can run the heating and ventilation with or without the AC by using the AC button.

    On longer trips I tend to use Auto but in the recent hot spells, I've left it in Manual and cranked the temp to low and the fan speed to high. I don't know if it made much of a difference in cabin temp, but it sure made me feel better thinking I had some control of it myself!

  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 4,278 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I don't think Eco setting makes much if any difference, and I crossed France this summer with no issues. On my own I find I sometimes get a bit lost stabbing the screen to change settings but that's a general bane of modern cars.

    I would investigate the 12v electrics as that is another modern problem. With my MG4 there was an issue with the 12 battery which led to systems shutting down as the voltage dropped because, I believe, the 12v wasn't being recharged by the drive battery. I disconnected which cleared the control unit, recharged over night and have had no further problem.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.