We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
9 points on licence
Comments
-
With 6 points already on their licence, it wouldn't be considered
1 -
You know, I wouldn't be relying on a speed limiter: have you considered either some advanced driver training or a refresher with a driving instructor, in your own car? To my way of thinking, you must have picked up some poor driving habits, even if you are spectacularly unlucky or are surrounded by well-placed fixed cameras.
Is your car an automatic or a manual? When I was driving a manual, I found it helpful to stay in 3rd gear for 30 mph, 2nd for 20 mph and so on. Now have an automatic and it is really easy for speed to creep up without noticing. I try to change down and stay down, but the car doesn't always want to cooperate.
Signature removed for peace of mind1 -
you will only get a course Offered if
1. you have currently clean licence
2. your offending falls within the boundaries of being offered a course1 -
I have to drive an automatic due to my condition. Speed limiter works for me.
0 -
it's nothing to do with six points. You will only be considered if you haven't taken the course in three years. In my case I have which is why I won't be offered
0 -
Have Waze satnav running every time you're out in the car, either on your phone or the car screen, which warns you where the police and cameras are set up together with other hazards. It has saved me on numerous occasions. (Not that I condone speeding by the way.)
0 -
yes I also use Waze thanks. It's a lifesaver
0 -
Be prepared to drive like a nun with a basket of kittens on the roof and a baby on the bonnet for the next 12 months.
One more offence and you could be facing loss of licence (and possibly motability car) for a few months.
Whilst exceptional hardship arguments are possible - 5 offences in a short period of time might not be viewed favourably (2 previous points,1 course, 1 current and 1 more)
Whilst Waze (or similar) are useful aids - nothing beats observation,awareness and knowledge.
It might be worthwhile brushing up on your Highway Code etc possibly even taking a couple of refresher lessons to brush up on limits and such
1 -
Being a modern car it likely screams at you for exceeding the speed limit !
It might be worthwhile brushing up on your Highway Code etc possibly even taking a couple of refresher lessons to brush up on limits and such
Agreed. Sorry to be harsh but the major factor in play here is poor driving skills and lack of awareness.
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
2 -
Don’t rely on speed limiters to do your thinking for you. I always use them and they are a useful tool, but I still have points because you can get caught going from a 40 to a 30, or with variable speed limits on the motorway if you aren’t paying as much attention as you should be.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


