We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
CapitalOne moved to mobile app only
Comments
-
I have just rung Capital One about this, and was told they don't know yet when the web access will be removed. I too use that to access my account, and I am particularly concerned because I HAVE tried to download the app, but get the message 'This app will not work on this phone'! I don't really want to use the app anyway, but I am not buying a new phone just to be able to access my account! I asked the agent from Capital One to change my statements to paper, which she has done, and I told her that switching to app only discriminates against those who don't want to, or are unable to use the app. As far as i am concerned, an app is something you have in the afternoon!
0 -
You cannot be discriminated against just because you don't want to use technology, discrimination has to be certain protected characteristics.
Waiting for paper statements to be posted, which is not only an incredibly insecure movement of information and means you are waiting up to a month before noticing fraud but also costs the bank money and necessitates tree felling. You can get a suitably modern refurb phone for a hundred quid or so which will give you much more secure and instant access to the account or just move to a better provider that gives online access.
Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness:
People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.
0 -
Why should I have to buy a new phone, just to be able to access my own account?! Even spending £100 for a refurbished phone is £100 too much! I already HAVE online access - at the moment - using the web & I have only requested paper statements because the ability to view them online (as I do now) is being taken away from me!
It's not merely not wanting to have everything on my phone (even if that were possible) but the constant mantra that having everything on your phone is so much more secure, so much better, as if there have never been any phones lost, stolen, losing a signal or failing to work for any other reason! The old adage springs to mind: Don't put all your eggs in one basket!
1 -
Wouldn't it be simpler to just find another institution that offers a similar product and online access?
Tell us the product(s) you have and people might have suggestions.
Cap1 have done the cost/benefit and will save more money switching off the website even when factoring in losing customers such as yourself.
0 -
All banks have to keep updating to newer mobile O/S as they become no longer supported & are then deemed insecure for financial products.
Life in the slow lane0 -
Reasonable adjustments doesn't mean they need to keep supporting old software that you've opted to use.
e.g. Android 13 and older have reached their End-of-Life (EOL) and no longer receive official monthly security patches from Google.
Given that their product seems to work fine with current software or phone/post, it's very likely that they have sufficient reasonable adjustments.
0 -
You don't have to buy a new phone.
When Virgin Money stopped online servicing of credit cards and went app only I ditched their card and went to another institution which provided the online access I wanted.
There's no point in complaining or getting irritated. The credit card market changes all the time. Just look at what's available and pick the card or cards that suit you.
I've got a Barclaycard Rewards and a Santander Rewards. Both provide a small amount of cashback plus other benefits, and one is a Visa and the other a Mastercard, so I've one of each if a system has a temporary outage.
0 -
You don't have to, you can choose to vote with your feet as I said and move to a provider that uses them
Phones are infinitely more secure than sending statements by post that can be lost or stolen and makes you much more at risk of fraud as you don't see problems for weeks. A lost or stolen phone is protected by biometric security so you are not at risk. Losing a signal or failing to work is not relevant as you're talking about checking an app which can be done a few minutes later.
You only want to use online banking which by definition is putting all your eggs in one basket, now you are switching to statements only which is the same with the added insecurity of post.
Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness:
People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.
1 -
It's not as simple as moving to another credit card provider; I originally had a Creation credit card, which I had had for years & for which I had access to my account via the web, but around this time last year I was notified that the Creation card was being discontinued for all customers. My husband and I then sought to apply for a different credit card. However, because we are both now retired, even though we have savings & have always paid off the balance in full every month, several cards - including those from the banks suggested - were refused. The only ones who agreed our applications were the Capital One Ocean card & Virgin Atlantic, the latter for which my husband has to ring up for the balance & have paper statements, as he is unable to download the app.
0 -
To be clear, both you and your husband were applying for a credit card each? - there's no such thing as a joint credit card (in the UK).
Savings (or the lack thereof) are never considered when applying for credit products, the criterion is affordability so what matters are your income, your outgoings and your existing level of debt.
Was you husband's inability to download the app a matter of not having the right sort of device?
There is indeed a Virgin Atlantic credit card, with benefits geared (not surprisingly) towards air travel.
Did you mean this card or the more common Virgin Money card?
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


