We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

CapitalOne moved to mobile app only

Arthurian
Arthurian Posts: 839 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
edited 8 August at 10:53AM in Credit cards

I like to view my CapitalOne credit card account online on my laptop. They have just, on 4th August, moved to a new system whereby you have to download an app onto your mobile phone instead. You can't use the secure messaging function any more unless through the app. I phoned them, and said I understood I could download their app for my iPhone from the Apple store, but that I would prefer to see everything on my laptop. At first I was told to download the app through the Google store onto my laptop and that would work fine. Then I asked if I did that, would there be a conflict between using the app from Apple on my iPhone and using the app from Google on my laptop. After a long pause, they said the app would only work on a mobile phone, and couldn't be used on a laptop at all. Will I encounter this problem on other credit cards? Any advice for me? Should I be asking this on the tech forum?

«13

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Not sure I'd have much faith in a helpdesk that suggests downloading apps from the Google Play Store to run on a (Windows?) laptop.

    The Virgin CC is similar, app access only.

    Don't think there's a technical solution here, you either adapt to access by app only or move your custom elsewhere. Presumably there has been a notice period?.

  • Arthurian
    Arthurian Posts: 839 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Last time I accessed the website, I didn't notice anything new. That was a couple of days ago. Now there's a banner saying "Web access to your account is closing soon" and that I should download the app. Yet the helpdesk said the new system was in place from 4th August, and I see you can't send a secure message any more, except through the app. I'm now looking at other credit cards, because I imagine it's going to be difficult to see a full statement, and small print details, on a small screen. Yet it seems Barclaycard are doing the same. I hope there's still going to be some credit card provider who will let me use their website on my laptop.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 8 August at 11:43AM

    Sounds like you haven't tried the app "…I imagine it's going to be difficult…".

    Try it, it's not either/or, you can use both access methods. The screen on a premium handset like an iPhone should make reading details not too difficult.

    For CapitalOne (and others) the sums are easy - how much do I save by not supporting multiple interfaces vs. how much revenue do I lose from customers leaving.

    I'm sure that many CC suppliers will continue with web-based access for years to come, all other things being equal maybe the best bet for longevity might be a card linked to a 'traditional' bank?

    Barclays have ended their dedicated Barclaycard online site but still give access to Barclaycard accounts from the Barclays banking website. Don't know if this is accessible if you ONLY have the Barclaycard product with Barclays.

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,516 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I am not too keen on the Barclaycard and Virgin app only as I prefer to be able to use a bigger screen but it is no big deal, everything is accessible, and easy enough to download statements to my laptop.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 3,022 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I can still access my Barclaycard via my web browser… it's the only Barclays product I have.

    https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal

    Not a fan of Apps on phones but have recently embraced Google Pay, so I guess I would have to if no other choice.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    That's the portal that's being phased out (it's not taking new registrations).

    Have you tried accessing through the main barclays portal https://www.barclays.co.uk/ ?

    Not sure if it would mean a re-registration (but I'd guess yes).

  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 13,873 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    If you prefer it on a bigger screen, can you screen mirror it to your TV (swipe down and select the two screens overlapping)

    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Might work, depends on the ability of the TV to receive mirrored content.

    Here's a question I can't answer because no iPhone - the Android Capital One app does not allow screenshots (like some other banking apps) - would it also disable mirroring?

  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 13,873 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 9 August at 10:07PM

    I've never ever heard that you can't take screenshots of a banking app, just tried with Capital One and it allowed me to, also tried with 3 other banking apps I have on my iPhone and they all allowed me to take a screenshot too.

    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 10 August at 8:12AM

    As I said, no experience of Apple hardware. It seems that the iPhone will not allow app developers the ability to block screenshots, unlike Android where it is reasonably common among financial apps.

    Always struck me as one of those features that the developers have used (or rather, blocked) 'just because they can'. I struggle to see what dodgy doings are prevented by restricting this functionality.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.