We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

When will the switch offers change dates?

24

Comments

  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 4 August at 12:54PM

    That's a fair point, but if they dragged themselves out of the stone age on the technical side of things they could be great all round.

    It's weird as back in 2000 or so they were quite up to date and had Internet banking when it was relatively new and even had terminals in their branches you could use for Internet banking, but now they are way behind virtually everyone else.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,047 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    But the clear inference from that is that people don't want to stay with them because of the app not being (what you'd consider to be) 'modern'?

  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    It's a common complaint, Andy on be clever with your cash has mentioned how bad the app is for example, and also if you look in the Google play store a number of reviews mention the app not having transaction notifications.

  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 4,326 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    nobody stops you from going to a bank that meets your requirements

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,047 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Sure, I'm not suggesting that you're the only one who doesn't rate it, but citing others who happen to agree with you doesn't actually change anything, and hence the question about some objective measure as to how many share that view to the extent of being prepared to do something about it…

  • danny13579
    danny13579 Posts: 1,885 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Rob5342

    It's a common complaint, Andy on be clever with your cash has mentioned how bad the app is for example, and also if you look in the Google play store a number of reviews mention the app not having transaction notifications.

    Hardly reliable sources! I have no issues with the Nationwide app. I don't need transaction notifications. I've never had any issues with it, it may lack bells and whistles, but I don't need those in an app. Nationwide give me £100 free cash every year for doing very little so I have no plans to leave them anytime soon.

  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 3,821 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I couldn't care less how good or bad their app is. I stay with a bank or building society because of the products they offer. I'm with Nationwide because I picked up a generous switch offer and they have an ok fixed rate bond. When it matures at the end of the year and they don't have anything more to attract me, I'll most probably leave and find somewhere else. Their app won't get any consideration from me.

  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 4 August at 3:20PM

    The app is a major product as far as I'm concerned, as that's the main or only way you access your account. For a savings account with a good rate I could put up with a crude app but for a current account I want a decent app.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,047 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    And that's fine of course, it's entirely your prerogative to take that view, but the point is that your opinion is no more or less valid than anyone else's, and it isn't tenable to extrapolate it as if you're speaking for the majority, unless there are objective stats to support the (implied) contention that Nationwide are haemorrhaging customers (relative to their peers) because of concerns about their app.

  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 4 August at 4:33PM

    And there is the crux of the problem for providers, if I drew up a list of things I want from a provider their app would barely make the top ten. I much prefer to do banking on my computer and, going against the grain, I am grateful that both Nationwide and NatWest group banks still allow me to use a card reader rather than sending texts when authorising certain things.

    It just goes to show that no matter what any provider offers they will never satisfy all of the people all of the time.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.