We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

AliExpress Return Issue

Hello all

I require some help. I purchased some expensive ear buds from AliExpress and they are all legit and everything but after a few weeks stopped working properly. I've been trying to initiate a return for ages with AliExpress and they keep saying they'll arrange a return and refund then their senior team steps in and says no.

I raised a dispute with the credit card company who asked me to send AliExpress a message saying the item is available for collection which I did.

If Capital One rule in my favour and order a return (something I'm happy to do) but AliExpress never tell me where to send it where do I stand?

«13

Comments

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,452
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I would follow AE rules 1st.

    How long have you had the item?

    If Cap One refund you I think you need to keep hold of the items I a safe place for 6 years incase they want them back but as you could be dealing with Chinese t & c who knows

  • alessandro
    alessandro Posts: 85
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    It was ordered in April and they were made aware of the issue in May

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,452
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 July at 3:20PM

    Thanks.

    What is wrong with them and what model number are they?

    The info may help someone give you advice on getting them to work again.

    Did you pay by credit card using PayPal or just credit card?

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,167
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Given Ali Express is a bit like ebay, have you contacted the actual retailer?

    Life in the slow lane
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,509
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    There is a similarity to eBay but in reality many of the different sellers are the same company using different names , and it is extremely rare for a seller to respond to anything apart from issuing an apology and lots of mentions about how you are a ‘dear ‘ and valued customer.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • alessandro
    alessandro Posts: 85
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Yeah that's been my experience. Every time they promise a refund I send it to the dispute team so hopefully it helps me.

    The item itself is timekettle AI translator ear buds. They just don't sync and there is a distinct delay (more than there should be) in the translation. I followed all the troubleshooting including with the seller to no avail

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,452
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    The reviews don't look great on Amazon or trust pilot.

    Keep trying AE for a refund but if they came from China who pays for the return?

    What happens if the parcel never gets received or signed for will you still get a refund from AE or credit card?

  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,237
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I noticed they now seem to offer one free return with each order otherwise you need to pay the return and
    possibly little hope of the seller actually accepting the delivery.

    I normally say only buy what you can afford to throw away and almost had an expensive mistake when
    I broke my own rule.

    Have they gone through the asking for pictures and then asking for video and a 3000 word essay on what
    is wrong with it which they will probably not understand due to the language barrier?

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,509
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    If bank follow the usual rules and demand proof of return then this follows the usual advice which is not to bother. However the OP says that bank is looking to refund without a return, which I e never seen before.

    if it transpires that a return is required then s above, don’t bother. Item will need to be sent at buyers cost, fully tracked and will never ever show as delivered. The best to hope for is a percentage refund , people have reported up to 30% being offered.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,167
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    What happens if the parcel never gets received or signed for will you still get a refund from AE or credit card?

    No, as to claim you need proof of delivery.

    Life in the slow lane
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.