We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

SMS Issues After Port to Spusu

Greyhound26
Greyhound26 Posts: 22
10 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite

I joined Spusu a week ago, porting my existing number from Lycamobile. The port request took just1 day to complete, while I was using the temporary number texts were being received and sending ok.

After the port, I wasn’t receiving texts from my wife on Lycamobile, I was also aware of missing a couple of messages I was expecting. On getting friends on other networks to try messaging me I was clear that o2 and EE originated messages weren’t being received, only Vodafone texts were getting through to me. Strange!!

I’ve been in a WhatsApp conversation with Spusu but they can’t seem to get to 5e bottom of the issue saying that everything has transferred as expected and there should be no issues. Has anyone had similar problems and if so how was it sorted?

«1

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,552
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Not a fix but maybe an SMS workaround - Android phone? Make sure you are using Google Messages with RCS Chats enabled.

    Might bypass the SPUSU glitch.

  • Greyhound26
    Greyhound26 Posts: 22
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thanks for the suggestion but it’s an iPhone I’m using.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,552
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Not an iPhone user, but Googling says some models/carriers support RCS - setting's under the text message app (apparently).

  • Greyhound26
    Greyhound26 Posts: 22
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I can’t see that option on my phone.


    SPUSU have run out of ideas and are asking me to do things I’ve already done. I’m not sure if porting out to another company would result in the same issue? I may have to resort to the nuclear option of starting afresh with a new number, what a PITA that would be!

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,552
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Was once advised (after a similar shonky port) that it can help to port back to the network that originally issued the number.

    Anyone know if this is a thing?

  • Greyhound26
    Greyhound26 Posts: 22
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 26 July at 2:57PM

    I’ve had a little trawl through the Trustpilot reviews for Spusu, 23% of 1 star reviews says a lot. Many people with the same issue as me. Apparently down to a split port, something I suggested to them on day 1.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,552
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Forgive me, but maybe the time to look at Trustpilot was before porting your number to them?

    I didn't bother mentioning it before because what's the point - you've already bought and ported - but there's tales of similar woes with SPUSU both on this forum and elsewhere.

    Cheap for a reason?

  • Greyhound26
    Greyhound26 Posts: 22
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Indeed, I was drawn in by the price. At least it was only a month minimum so no real harm done assuming I can get my SMS receiving back.

  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 2,679
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Regarding porting a number.

    In the UK, we don’t have a central directory of numbers. So your number always “points” to the original company that the number was allocated to. This is called the Original Network Operator (see mnposg.org.uk for full details of how it works)

    When you port a number, the ONO routes the call to your new provider. When you port again, the current provider co-ordinates between the ONO and the new provider to route calls and texts (which are routed separately)

    What can happen sometimes is a split port where the routing goes wrong for either calls or texts. Only people with numbers with the new provider or the ONO will know about the change of provider.

    To further complicate the issue, although Spusu uses EE’s masts, Spusu has its own core network which is based in Austria.

    If you port your number back to the ONO then all the routing is undone and this will solve any problems with the port.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,552
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thanks @PHK, is there somewhere to lookup a mobile phone no's ONO?

    I had a look at the MNPOSG site and such is not apparent.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.