Best Balance Transfers Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. You'll need either a loan or money transfer card.

PS. 8% interest isn't horrible. Apart from 0%, it's about as low a card rate as you'll ever find.
  • Libra0977
    Options
    Hi

I’m looking to transfer a balance to an interest free card in my mums name with he permission is that do-able - appreciate any feedback
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    In most cases, yes, as long as they're not from the same issuer.
  • Bosco_Baboli
    Options
    Hi,

I just requested a balance transfer from a new Sainsbury's CC to an existing CC from the AA. Sainsbury's declined the request to transfer the money over. I rang them a couple of times and was told briefly, and then in detail, that the AA simply aren't a card Sainsbury's will deal with.

I believe Sainsbury's own Sainsbury's bank, who are HQd in Edinburgh, while the AA are underwritten by the Bank of Ireland, HQd in Belfast, so both are UK banks. Believe it or not I did actually read some of the small print when applying for the Sainsbury's card and saw that it states they won't accept "some" cards, my mistake was thinking this was to protect themselves from smaller/unstable/dodgy cards.

Anyway, I asked for a list of other cards they also don't accept thinking it could be useful to save somebody else aggro, so, if you're thinking of BTing from Sainsbury's to one of the following banks at this time, you may want to do some more research;

Any store card
    Amazon Mastercard
    AA
    American Express
    "a particular Natwest" card, I couldn't get any more details on what particular ones
    TSB
    Vanquish

If you want to know if they'll accept your card, especially if it's Natwest, ring them and get them to check the first 6 digits of the card number, as this is what tells them what bank and type of card it is.

I may have just taught you all how to suck eggs but if it helps someone else I'll be at least a little bit happier.

Regards.
  • Emmaegg
    Emmaegg Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I would like to pay off my overdraft with a 0% balance transfer. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and if so which card company they used?
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Emmaegg wrote: »
    I would like to pay off my overdraft with a 0% balance transfer. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and if so which card company they used?
    To settle an overdraft, you would have to use a Money Transfer card. :)

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/money-transfers/

And welcome to the forum
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • dotchas
    dotchas Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, just looking for a bit of advice, OH has approx 8k credit card debt about to end a 0% term. He applied for the Sainsbury card 29months 0% and was accepted but only 4k CC Limit. When would be best to apply for another 0% to clear the full balance?

Thank you
    :j I love bargains:j
    I love MSE
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    In time to transfer the balance before he starts paying interest.
  • dotchas
    dotchas Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you ZX81
    Will it affect his application, that he got a new card today? Should he wait or not? Just don't want to get it wrong and stuff his chances of getting it all on 0%
    :j I love bargains:j
    I love MSE
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    He may as well apply now. If declined, leave it a couple of months.

One more search will have no long term effect.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback