We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Auction property

13

Comments

  • XXI
    XXI Posts: 9 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 July at 1:22PM

    The property is in a conservation area within Scotland. I also asked about the flat downstairs and the vendor said both properties are separate in their own right with each having their own access rights etc however he did seem a bit shifty when I asked the question.

  • Mgman1965
    Mgman1965 Posts: 319 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 July at 1:29PM

    Call me an old cynic, but,

    I bet the vendor knows he's made a huge gaffe and knows he'd soon have to answer for his actions to the local planning department, so is offloading it quick, hoping the buyer doesn't realise what they've bought till its to late.

  • XXI
    XXI Posts: 9 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

    I have to agree.

    I don't want to blatantly direct you to the property however it's being marketed pre-auction with SH&H. The first photo is of a beautiful detached blonde sandstone building. When you see the internal photographs you'll see all the 🚩.

    Such a shame as it would have been the perfect home (for me).

  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 18,869 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Sis was looking at a property down in Diss. It fulfilled her criteria, and from the outside, looked quite nice. However, inside had been pretty much gutted, and the pictures showed lots of plasterboard going up. Three major red flags…

    • It is a Grade II listed property.
    • No planning application available on the local planning portal.
    • Unfinished work - Possibly because the local Conservation Officer had told the builders to stop.

    I advised Sis not to even bother viewing. If (when) an enforcement was served, it would cost an absolute fortune to fix. Lime plasterers do not come cheap !

    I fear that the property you were looking at would also come with a hefty repair bill when the local planning/conservation department find out.

    Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
    Erik Aronesty, 2014

    Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,959 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Ok, found it. The chat above about subdivision appears to be a red herring as it's been a flat in its own right since at least 1979 (which is the earliest Sasine deed splitting it off from ownership of the rest of the tenement). And has had its own council tax account since the start of council tax. Correct that there is no sign of any planning or building control applications in modern times, so I expect it's lack of building warrants for more recent works which are the main problem?

  • XXI
    XXI Posts: 9 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

    Yes, definitely an issue with the lack of building warrant/planning permission. For such a small space, it looks like it would be a huge job to fix any issues and even worse if it were to be reinstated back to it's original layout. I could see the lines where the 2 non-load bearing walls had been removed.

  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    I belive I located the specific property you were considering.

    If its the correct one, it is being sold via modern method auction which perhaps you should have mentioned from outset.

    Putting aside all the other negative aspects of this particular property, you will find most forum contributors here would strongly advise against buying any property on this basis, especially as in this case the agents are seeking an upfront £6,000 reservation fee which is in addition to the final winning bid if you were successful.

    On all counts, a property to be avoided.

  • XXI
    XXI Posts: 9 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 July at 12:18AM

    Thanks for your input. I was aware that it was being sold by the Modern Method of Auction and I was factoring in the fee to the total cost. Not sure why you feel I should have mentioned this at the outset. I did actually say in my original post that the property is non-mortgageable and has a 'high buyers fee'. My main concern was the lack of consents.

  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 27,296 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I don’t think I would ever bid on a modern method of auction property. Others here think likewise.

    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 18,869 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Indeed. The whole MMoA process is loaded against the buyer, and the "fee" is only refundable in a very limited set of circumstances. Furthermore, I don't ever recall seeing an end date for any of the "auctions" I've looked at… On that basis, to call it an auction is stretching it a bit and could be in breach of advertising & consumer legislation.

    Barge pole comes to mind - Neither the buyer, nor the seller is getting a good deal, and the only winner is the agent.

    Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
    Erik Aronesty, 2014

    Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.