We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Bell type bollard
Comments
-
I know how to drive a van !!!!!!. I drove a Ford Ranger before this for years which is larger. And numerous vans before that.
-1 -
As you are approaching the junction your vehicle is so badly designed that it is impossible to see properly.
I'd get on to VW and have a word with them.
Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid1 -
I find drivers just ignore pavements and just drive over the corner; it is really poor driving. I drive a long-wheelbase VW Crafter and I see some car drivers mount curbs that I manage not to drive over. Sometimes I clip a curb, but I know that vehicles are not allowed on the pavement. If there were a bollard, I would be aware and take more care.
1 -
I have some sympathy with the OP. An HGV typically has 6 mirrors. In addition to the regular pair, it will have wide angle mirrors (which, when properly adjusted, allow a view of the rear wheels and bodywork) at the sides; a mirror to view the left kerb; and a mirror to view the front blind spot.
With the mirrors properly adjusted and properly used, they overcome the blind spots in an HGV quite well, and would have prevented this type of incident.
The problem with many small vans (not just VW, but they are pretty poor in this regard) is that they have only 2 mirrors, which are only slightly larger than car mirrors. For example the mirrors on a VW Transporter (T6 and T6.1, don't know about the new T7) were square and noticeably smaller than the equivalent Transit Custom mirrors. And vans larger, such as Transit, Merc Sprinter, Renault Master etc have 4 mirrors - 2 normal and 2 wide angles. And the bodywork of a panel van is quite terrible for blind spots. Cars have blind spots too but being lower to the ground and generally smaller/shorter means there is less of an issue.
But the responsibility must lie with the driver, they need to position the vehicle, make allowances, etc for the blind spots of their vehicle.
0 -
However on this occasion you misjudged your turn, crossed the pavement and collided with the bollard.
Your mistake so you'll have to suck up the costs.1 -
good job it was a bollard and not a dog or a small child/pushchair happily minding their own business on the pavement
3 -
So you can never see the kerb. Does that mean it's ok to drive on the pavement?
0 -
A tip here.
Angle your mirror down so you can see the kerb on corners.
Life in the slow lane2 -
There are three main factors that can make life difficult for somebody moving from a car to a larger commercial vehicle.
1. The front wheel being behind/underneath the driver instead of ahead. That's not a factor with an id.Buzz.
2. Shorter nose. Not a factor, as you're used to driving vans with similar proportions.
3. Longer wheelbase. Again, not a factor as the LWB Buzz is the same wheelbase as a Ranger, and the SWB is only the same length as a Passat or similar car.
And yet here we are, cutting corners across pavements, and complaining when things on the pavement get hit as a result.
The key is to look out for objects while they're ahead of you and visible through the windscreen, not wait until they're right next to the front wing before looking for them.7 -
Careful of the awning when turning too!
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

