We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
How much development potential?
Comments
-
If you look at the OP's history there a thread about his garden and if it the same property in the photo then the garden is massive so potentially a few dwellings on it and more if next door sells up !
0 -
Owner of blue property is not selling, which is fine, but I'm puzzled as to why not.
What I can't work out is what the owner of blue is thinking
Maybe he is simply thinking that he can't be bothered, is happy with his house the way it is, and values the absence of a bunch of unnecessary hassle more than your money?
What if he had knocked on your door and asked to buy your house when you had never put it up for sale, then when you said no, he went around asking people what they thought your "problem" was? 😉
• The rich buy assets.
• The poor only have expenses.
• The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.0 -
My parents were in a similar situation - neighbours asked if they could buy a bit of the garden from them, parents didn't have any particular reason to say no, but decided they didn't want any hassle. Not that it would have caused a great amount of hassle, as the neighbours just wanted a bigger lawn, but it was their choice. Neighbours moved not long after (to somewhere with a bigger garden).
2 -
Well indeed, it's entirely his choice and that's why I'm not hassling him but still scratching my head over why he wouldn't want a few k to lose a bit of ground that no-one is using and the opposite neighbours complain about regularly because of the nettles and brambles coming through into their garden. To be clear, I don't think I ever said he had a "problem".
And yes if you check my other thread you'll see I'm definitely not a house-builder!
Thanks for comments, happy to leave it there.
2 -
There does come a point for many people where they are simply comfortable with their situation.
I will be retiring at the end of June due to a conveniently timed company transfer / redundancy situation. I am getting repeated offfers from the incoming company to stay on as a consultant for 2 days a week, but paid the same as my previous full time position. I've said no because I simply can't be bothered.
They keep asking me me why not, and what offer they need to make? I've (politely) told them whatever offer they make is irrelevant as this simply isn't something I want to do.
• The rich buy assets.
• The poor only have expenses.
• The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.0 -
Have you talked about the process to him and the sum you would be willing to offer? And emphasise that you will pay all of the legal costs - yours and his. He may be thinking that this would be hassle for him, that he might incur costs and not end up with much money.
I assume you would be willing to pay a substantial sum - several thousand I imagine. He might be thinking it would just be a couple of hundred.
Actual figures might change his mind, you never know.
1 -
Putting together the information in the diagram and the description of the garden in the OP's other thread (back fence is already 35m long) then this bit they want to buy could easily be > 30m2. So neighbour may want more than just a "few" thousand.
0 -
Price will epend on circumstances. I know of a situation where owners of 4 Victorian terraced houses each paid considerably more than a few thousand for a similar area. However, in that case, the original gardens were only about 4m long, and at current prices, the houses were in the £600k bracket. The extra garden gave the possibility of extension, so it was actually a good deal, although the purchasers felt they were being fleeced!
Also, in the above example, no one wanted their neighbour to buy land behind their property, so 100% take-up was more or less assured.
Here, both properties have good gardens, and there are no obvious advantages or alternative buyers.
Never believe anything until it's officially denied.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

