We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How much development potential?

image.png

I own and live in the red property. The blue property is privately rented. I would like to buy the yellow portion which is currently completely overgrown with young trees, nettles, brambles, rubbish, and fenced (with a gate) from the rest of their garden. Owner of blue property is not selling, which is fine, but I'm puzzled as to why not.

I have vehicular access, just about, to my frontage but blue does not. Even if he bought some land from the other neighbour (who likes to park their cars in the road out front), there is no dropped kerb and there is a Diamond Cable manhole in front of the property. Also there is a restrictive covenant on the bit of my frontage where the boundary goes at an angle to allow access, with financial clawback for any development requiring planning permission.

What I can't work out is what the owner of blue is thinking - he is quoted as saying he can see why I want to buy the land, for the same reason he wanted to buy my house when it was on the market (but it seems he pulled out, possibly because of the covenant). So I assume he thinks it would be feasible to somehow build another house in this back corner.

46 and 48 are council rented bungalows so not likely to be on the market any time soon.

I can't work out if he thinks he will be able to develop once his current tenants leave, or he's waiting for me to sell so he can buy my house after all, or he thinks if I bought the land I'd be able to develop and he doesn't want me to.

It's just bugging me!?

«13

Comments

  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 11,757 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I can't work out if he thinks he will be able to develop once his current tenants leave, or he's waiting for me to sell so he can buy my house after all, or he thinks if I bought the land I'd be able to develop and he doesn't want me to.

    It's just bugging me!?

    Unless you develop the ability to read his mind you'll probably never know. It could be "just because".

    If red and blue got together then there is probably enough land at the back to build a pair of semis, with a driveway for all four properties along the existing red/blue boundary line.

    The alternative might be for red to get a bit more land - for example your yellow triangle, which would allow a pair of semis to be built on the extended red plot alone… albeit the existing red dwelling would need to be demolished. As yours is a semi it wouldn't be as straightforward to demolish as if it were a detached property, but by no means impossible to do, and to make a profit from the development.

    What I can't work out is what the owner of blue is thinking

    The owner of blue may be thinking "I can't work out what the owner of red is thinking"

  • sherlock228
    sherlock228 Posts: 179 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper

    let the guessing game begin, blue does not…

    • trust how to value it,
    • need the money,
    • like you
    • supports having environmentally green spaces for wildlife
  • Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 829 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    "

    The owner of blue may be thinking "I can't work out what the owner of red is thinking"

    "

    Ha ha yes I think this may play into it - why would I want to add a scruffy bit of wasteland to my already huge and slightly scruffy (to some eyes) garden! He's thinking I've got a devious money-making plan and isn't selling on principle.

  • bobster2
    bobster2 Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Add to that list - blue thinks you might stick some sort of structure in that space (e.g. shed office / gym / spa) that blue doesn't want to have to look at (or have overlooking his garden).

  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 4,274 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Why do you want to buy it then? If blue can't work it out and we can't , it would suggest the vendor is right to be suspicious.

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,427 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I was going to post the same thing more or less.

    You could both get rid of some of your gardens and build 2 dwellings and share the profit that is if you can get planning permission.

  • Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 829 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    I bought a house with a big garden because I wanted a big garden to do gardening in, and a bigger garden would be even better. I did say when I first approached him that I didn't want to build anything on it or do anything that would detract from the value of his land, I just want to extend my garden which at that end is basically an orchard anyway.

  • bobster2
    bobster2 Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Even if blue believes that you don't want to build anything on it - what about someone who buys your property if you sell?

  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    edited 22 June at 11:17AM

    Some people don't wish to see others prosper, or maybe they fear change.

    When we decided to use access rights our property possesses, a goodly proportion of neighbours objected, despite the proposed access not being visible from any homes. Even when written confirmation from the LA showed it was permitted development, some still complained. After it was built, exactly to plan, a further complaint was made.

    All of these people assumed, rightly, the extra access could enable us to sell an outbuilding for development as a single property. Given there are 15 properties in the hamlet, the impact would be negligible.

    We've not sold the outbuilding. Perhaps we never will. Some of the neighbours still won't speak to us. To their minds, it seems, we did something wrong. C'est la vie!

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 13,118 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    If I was the owner of the blue property I wouldn't sell that land either.

    It would make for an odd shaped garden for no conceivable benefit.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.