We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
How much development potential?
Comments
-
I don't view garden land ending at an acute-angled point as useful or aesthetically pleasing. It usually ends up being truncated by bushes or a structure and used as a dumping ground.
Never believe anything until it's officially denied.
0 -
There's definitely a minimal width under which the land isn't very useful. Once you can't get a mower into it, it's more of a liability than an asset.
0 -
Based on the limited street plan, I doubt very much that planning permission would be granted for a new dwelling at the rear of the garden. Overlooking other properties, lack of access, and possibly out of character for the area would be the main reasons for rejection.
A modest garden room/office/gym would be more likely to be accepted if permitted development didn't cover it.Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
Erik Aronesty, 2014
Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.1 -
I think what Relieved Sheff is saying is that they, and therefore the owner of the blue property, can't conceive of why I would want a garden with an "odd shape" at the bottom, therefore I must have some devious ulterior financial motive. It's interesting to hear that insight.
The benefit for me would be room for more plants, more food and more wildlife! The shape of it would be immaterial. At the moment it's of very limited use because of the sharp point and has indeed just become a dumping ground for the blue property. I've got a big apple tree at the end of mine so there's a nice little path that goes around that and some shade loving plants.
0 -
Whilst you currently want the space for extra plantings, that might change in the future. And the next owner might have more grandiose plans for the plot.
Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
Erik Aronesty, 2014
Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.0 -
Sapindus: I think what Relieved Sheff is saying is that they, and therefore the owner of the blue property, can't conceive of why I would want a garden with an "odd shape" at the bottom, therefore I must have some devious ulterior financial motive. It's interesting to hear that insight.
OK that's an interpretation I didn't consider, but you both have an awkward shaped end to the garden now. Selling the yellow land to you would still be an improvement for you, and result no great lack of amenity for them.
However as you say, if they think there's some devious underlying motive, nothing is likely to sway them!
Never believe anything until it's officially denied.
0 -
It may be as simple as selling the land would involve getting the consent of his mortgage lender and he just doesn’t want the hassle.
I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.0 -
If you really want to know what the owner of “blue” was thinking, what did they tell you when you asked them?
If you only wish to purchase the land to add to your garden, why don’t you offer to purchase the land with an overage clause, offering say 25% of any uplift in the value of the land from the date of purchase for 25 years? That way you get your extra garden and if the property is sold or developed “blue” gets to share in the uplifted value.
Simples.
0 -
Simples.
Not so simples for the OP's future buyers (or their lenders) who will view any overage clauses in the title with great suspicion.
3 -
The first time I asked he didn't reply, the second time he replied he was going to clear the land soon. The reported comment about knowing why I want to buy the land is second hand. It's not really that important to me, I didn't buy this house relying on being able to buy the extra bit. I can wait, I was just curious if people thought it was ripe for development and I'm a mug to think he might sell, or conversely if there's almost no chance of PP being granted and he might sell based on me being a mug to buy it!
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



